Quasimodo Madrone Burl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is another of my "turned to final size and shape" wet madrone burl pieces. This was turned wet with the intent of letting it warp and wrinkle as it wanted to, and that it did. When I saw how much it warped, I debated whether to re-turn it or finish it as-is. The problem with re-turning it was the big hump that formed around the inclusion. By the time I got it trued back up, the hump would have been a big hole. I opted for the as-is route. People will either like it or not. (All I need is one, with money.) As a famous turner has said more than once, it is what it is. ;) It's about 6 1/2" wide by 4 3/4" high, with walls about 3/8" thick. I did no turning after it dried other than turning off the tenon at the foot. More Antique Oil and spray Deft lacquer, buffed with tripoli, followed with unbuffed Renaissance Wax to knock down the shine. The surface is very wrinkled and leathery-feeling.

Here are a couple shots of it right before going into the DNA for drying:

HF034 - 01 800.jpg HF034 - 02 800.jpg

And here are a few of the finished piece. It's named "Quasimodo".

HF034 - 03 800.jpg HF034 - 06 800.jpg HF034 - 09 800.jpg HF034 - 08 800.jpg HF034 - 04 800.jpg

Definitely on the ugly side, but it kind of makes you feel sorry for it. (Or me, depending on your point of view.) Let me know what you think.

A quote from Marty Feldman in one of my favorite all time movies, Young Frankenstein, "What Hump?"

I really like it, and it carries all sorts of different messages as you look at it.

"Sanctuary...sanctuary!"

The problem probably won't be selling it. The problem will be that the person who buys it will want a matching one to go with it.:rolleyes:

Nice one Vaughn.

Hi Vaughn,

I had the opportunity to visit one of my pieces from a couple of years ago last year in the collection of the person that comissioned the piece. I was amazed at how much the piece had changed since i'd seen it last. It was a relatively simple bowl in white oak burl but, having turned it green and then sold it before it had settled, I was astounded by the transmorgification. It went from being this princess of a boiwl to the troll under the bridge. But, the buyer was still thrilled so, I guess that's all that matters...

Chris, I like the "princess to troll" analogy. Or maybe "girlfriend to wife" or "boyfriend to husband", depending on your viewpoint. :rofl:

This is one piece I don't think is all that aesthetic, but it's real neat to feel in your hands. It has a very ancient feel to it. I was also thinking maybe this piece needed a fancy-schmancy write-up to explain to people the artistic motivation behind the work. Something like:

This piece exemplifies man's struggle to break the boundaries of conformance, while illustrating the fact that if you have a big hump on your back, people are gonna look at you funny.
:rofl:

The best part about doing a piece like this is that it will make the next one look great, no matter how badly I mess it up. :D