First post here

Hello Mark and welcome! For you and Ned, and anyone else in the area, I will be in Syracuse next weekend for the turning club up there. More to follow in another post, probably tomorrow.

Bill

Thanks for the welcome folks! I do have a newbie question - what is the definition of "flatwork" for the flatwork forum?
Mark, flatwork refers to things made from flat pieces of wood (boards) into generally square or rectangular objects. Regular ol' woodworking, as opposed to round things made on a lathe. The opposite would be "roundwork" I guess, although I've never heard that term. The lathe has a tendency to suck people in (a.k.a. The Vortex or The Abyss), and if you get completely Abyserrated, than your table saw becomes nothing more than a flat place to store your turning blanks. It's kinda like a disease, but it's a fun one to have. Much like love. :D

Then to further confuse matters, there are folks who do "segmented turning", where they glue up little pieces of flat wood and turn that on a lathe. These people are very mixed up, and cannot decide which punishment they like the most, so they opt for both. :rofl:

In the end it's all good, and all types are welcome here.