reorganization in progress

In between trips to Ned's this past weekend I made a mobile base for my jointer and drillpress (DP - with the bandsaw, already on it's own mobile base, on the other side of the DP). These two tools already lived next to each other in my shop. Further, since my jointer was against the end of a half-wall, it lived at an angle to the wall, similar to the take-off deck on an aircraft carrier (Ken, please correct me if I'm confusing the take-off and landing areas). So, for my shop, I figured that I could put both of these tools on the same base as long as I could situate them so that my DP table could be lowered past the jointer bed.

Now I can have the jointer parked out of the way of my wife's path when she is doing laundry, still usable for reasonably short pieces and movable for longer pieces and I can use the DP table as outfeed support for both the DP and bandsaw as well as being able to move it for when the bandsaw is in the way of DP operations.

Here is the proof:

front.jpg

side.jpg

In the side picture I have drawn a dotted line and a couple arrows. I used 6 casters for this base. The back middle and back left (between DP and bandsaw) casters are not lockable, the rest are. All of them swivel. The arrows point to caster locations that are not immediately visible. If I cut the base at approximately the dotted line, do you think I would need to move the caster to somewhere along the dotted line or would the remaining 5 casters do the job? Also, if I decided to make this cut, should it be before or after my wife trips on it while carrying laundry up from the basement? :eek: :huh: :doh:

Lastly, in the background of the side picture (upper left) you can see my first drawer in action. I remembered that I had the steel handle laying around from a previous hobby and put it on. I very cleverly cut my drawer perfectly proud of the carcass so that I could always admire my first dovetail joint while in the shop. :huh: :dunno: :rofl:

I looked back at my beginning pictures today and realized that I've made quite a bit of progress. :D I have some ducting for the DC that either needs to be run to the router table (or up along the ceiling for a permanent drop to the half-wall side) or put into the attic for storage. There is also a box of ducting / shop vac accessories that needs a home as well as a bag of paperbacks taking up space.

My next major shop organization plan is to build a paperback bookcase thingee for the basement (and take care of the bag of paperbacks). Then I can move a set of screw-into-the-wall shelves (like seen above the mechanic's cabinets) to the space between the RAS and DC. I had thought about another bit of pegboard there, but after looking at my current shelf space I think I need more shelvage than more pegboard.

Thanks for letting me track my progress - sometimes it has been helpful to have "gotta get this done to take a pic and post it" as extra motivation! :wave:

Last edited:
I like your mobile jointer/bandsaw base, Mark.

If my shop reorganization was any indication, they never quite get completed. About as soon as I think I've got everything set up where I want it, I end up acquiring another tool or machine, and the shuffle begins all over again.

I like your mobile jointer/bandsaw base, Mark.

If my shop reorganization was any indication, they never quite get completed. About as soon as I think I've got everything set up where I want it, I end up acquiring another tool or machine, and the shuffle begins all over again.

Looks like it'll work nicely there Mark. See what I mean, that shops never get totally set in stone?

Looks like it'll work nicely there Mark. See what I mean, that shops never get totally set in stone?

how would you know ned you ain't got yours covered yet:) at least mark is makin stuff in and for his,, yeah i know you had ball game to watch but he doesn't play every night does he???? good job mark and you wont ever get it all right something will always be wanting to be changed...

how would you know ned you ain't got yours covered yet:) at least mark is makin stuff in and for his,, yeah i know you had ball game to watch but he doesn't play every night does he???? good job mark and you wont ever get it all right something will always be wanting to be changed...

This will be the third shop I've had my tools inm just the first that's all mine.

Vaughn, I know you meant to type drill press when you accidentally typed bandsaw. Thanks for the compliments - soon shall there be a real project, I promise! Maybe a couple more shop improvement projects first though.

As for Ned and his roof - it is hard getting 20' into the air. Maybe he bit off more than he knew he was gonna be chewing, but the chewing is happening.

ned must be part gypsy too:) movin alot:) jist givun ya a hard time ned, did notice your one son has good taste in the ladies:)

it's all good Larry, no worries!!:thumb:

Vaughn, I know you meant to type drill press when you accidentally typed bandsaw. Thanks for the compliments - soon shall there be a real project, I promise! Maybe a couple more shop improvement projects first though.

As for Ned and his roof - it is hard getting 20' into the air. Maybe he bit off more than he knew he was gonna be chewing, but the chewing is happening.

Oh, I knew what I was getting into... but perhaps not how out of shape I was/am.

Still thinking about hiring it out, but not to the guy I originally planned.

well ned if me and steve were closer you would be building cabinets for it by now.. but your beer cooler would be alot lighter:) steve goes so fast he gets thirsty and i just get thirsty tryin to keep up with the young bucks:rofl:

...Still thinking about hiring it out, but not to the guy I originally planned.
Based on the height physical condition issues (to which I can fully relate), I'd think that would be money well spent. Paying someone else would be less costly than the ER bills if you were to hurt yourself trying to do it yourself. ;)

Mark,

I have a wonderful wife. In order to keep her I have to do certain things. If there is something sticking out, something raised, something in a pathway she will find it. She finds it by tripping over it or adding a new bruise to a hip or whatever.

Therefore, if your wife is like mine---YOU BETTER CUT IT OFF, stick a removable vertical post up on the corner to get attention, or get it completely out of her line of travel.

Lots a luck and Enjoy,

Jim

ps

My drill press is 250 pounds (shipping weight). Are there little casters that would work well supporting that weight? I am short so keeping the base close to the floor is reasonably important. I had a total failure using 14 of the "ball" casters (picture on my thread about fantastic drill press base).

Jim, I think each little caster has a weight capacity of either 100 or 200#. Let's say you build an extremely stout mobile base for your drill that weighs 150#, bringing the total weight to 400#. Using 4 casters, you'll need to use, minimally, 100# rated casters, since the total load is 400# divided by the 4 casters suporting it.

I will be cutting along the dotted line by the end of the weekend. My plan is to then put the cut-off caster along the dotted line, but closer to the right part of the jointer base and not in the center of the dotted line. Looking at the dotted line and the jointer base, it seems that the right side will be needing more support than the left after cutting along the dotted line.

My not-so-humble-anymore planer stand recently grew.

First I added a grinding station.

grindingstation.JPG

Then I added some clamp storage [GLOAT]and some clamps! :thumb: :D :rofl: [/gloat]

clamprack.JPG

And check it, out, I have GIMP installed and there are pics, so y'all cannot disbelieve that I do stuff in my shop no matter how humble my current efforts. :p

Nice work !

The grinder and Wolverine station look good Mark. I knew you'd figure it out OK.:D

One concern I have is having the grinder near the planer. The grit from grinding could reek havoc with a planer.

Oh yeah-more clamps is better !:thumb:

The grinder and Wolverine station look good Mark. I knew you'd figure it out OK.:D

One concern I have is having the grinder near the planer. The grit from grinding could reek havoc with a planer.

Oh yeah-more clamps is better !:thumb:

Maybe I'll make a little shield for between the grinder and planer. And try to remember to use shop vac between grinding and planing operations.

Mark, if you keep adding things to that "ORIGINAL" Stand, yer gonna have ta put a MOTOR on it to make it Mobile.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think you can now NAME it the "CARRIER STAND".:D

Good Job.:thumb:

Congrats on the new additions, Mark. :thumb: That stand looks like its earning its pay.

From the looks of things, you might want to keep your eyes open for a good price on a wheel dresser for the grinder. I have one like this, and like it:
31CBP280F4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg