old Delta table saw

Frank Fusco

A friend is selling an old Delta table saw. It doesn't look like it has been used in a long time and needs a lot of cleaning. I could get it real cheep, like $25.00. But don't know if I'm interested because if it is no good, just getting rid of it would be more than $25.00 worth of hassle. It has a strange drive system that makes me leary. The motor is mounted in back but the blade is driven from a flexible shaft that goes around one side of the cabinet. If it were a standard belt driven or direct drive, I would be more interested but I'm afriad that flex shaft could fail at anytime and be expensive to replace, if possible at all.
What say the jury?

Never heard if such, are you sure it is Delta? Got a model number or anything?

Either way something to consider is that if it fails, it might have more value in parts. Many times a machines is worth more by selling off peices and parts than it is as a whole working machine. :eek: Sad but true.

If it has an induction motor of 1/2hp or better, that alone is worth $25 easily. Leg stands, fences, miter gauges, wings, switches, blade guards/splitters, motor mounts, and handwheels are all good items on auction sites.

Yes the motor might be worth something if it is a 1725 RPM or 3450 RPM are standard or any other RPM for that matter which & you can get the flexible shaft off & install a pulley to change the speed to use it for something else in the shop. But this type of saw system wasn't known from what I've read to stay very successful. Cast iron top think router table.:wave:

A friend used to have a Craftsman with a flex drive. He had to replace the flex cable a few times - that is until he upgraded to a Unisaw.

Wes

I'll go back Monday and get model number.
I'm sure a good motor is worth more than 25 bucks. And, I have been thinking it might be something I can convert into a router table.
Plus, I really need another hunka junk hanging around the house. ;)