How do you decide?

great post shaz!!

i love challenges, maybe not always in the midst of the struggle, but at the beginning when i am planning and figuring it out and then when it's done or i complete certain portions of that job...i absolutely love it, the feeling of accomplishment is great, even if no one ever got to see it, just knowing i can is enough for me.

so to answer the question, i know when i see the job, if there is some component that i just can't do because of a tool i don't have, then i won't attempt it. usually every job i do has some sort of component that challenges me, awhile back i did my first angled hood with raised panels, then just recently i did my first raised panel hood with an arched bottom. it always seems like there is something. i am about to take on my first octagon shaped kitchen, i am very excited about that one.

so i guess there aren't many things i won't try at least once....so far i've been very lucky and have been able to complete them all with pleasing results. hopefully my luck continues.

chris

How do you decide, when you consider a job, or see the scope of work that you can in fact actually do the job?
Shaz

Do I have the machinery, the interest, and the time to do the job. The older I get the more I lean toward interest, and helping folks with the stuff most people won't do. Fixing a drawer.:doh:By the time some one calls me they have been around the block with sorry/no way/can't help you. Going to someones house to look at that small stuff is something I avoid. If they are willing to come to the shop with their needs I can probably help them.
But, when it comes down to it, If you are not working, you have time to do anything you can. :)
Shaz

Nice thread Shaz, but I darn near missed it. That's because you have been making so many probing questions...

Anyway here is my take, but a bit of history first. Well you must realize I am a model maker so most of my commission work is around that. Its artistic for sure and there are no plans or set limitations. Just pictures of trucks, tractors, equipment or trains that people want me to build.

I can model almost anything so that does not concern me, but typically about halfway through a project I decide that I absolutely hate what I have made so far. Things just aren't looking very good and I am disgusted with myself. Still I have too much time in it to just quit or start over. Then the thing evoles somehow. I start to like what I made. I make changes, add some inspiration and whatnot and in the end the model looks better than the last one I built.

I am not sure why I have this hate/ love relationship for my work. perhaps it is because I spend months making these things and I can think through my problems. maybe that same time frame allows me to think creatively, and since its creative artwork anyway, I can add the details that make me like the model. Whatever it is, every model I make has the same pattern:

Deep enthusiasm for building the model
Researching the model I am making
Building the model
Hating what I started
Working through problems
Enjoying what I made