She needed a desk too

My best client, ( My daughter ) going off to school needed a TV stand shown in another thread and also a desk, no drawers, 29" tall 60" wide 20" deep with a cross bar for her little tiny feet and a thin front profile to slide up under with a higher than normal chair.
late august 2007 004.jpg

late august 2007 019.jpg

late august 2007 020.jpg

late august 2007 021.jpg

late august 2007 022.jpg
She seemed to like it and it goes so well with her blue rolling chair.

Well Shaz, You've gone and done it again! Beautiful desk! I really like the little design elements and the figure in that wood is great!

Awesome, Shaz

As usual, your craftsmanship and attention to detail are well represented. :thumb:What a great gift that will last forever. I bet your daughter is thrilled.

Shaz,

wow, what a great table! Reminds me of the 'Monk's table' that Nahm built a few seasons ago, what with the stretcher and all. Beautiful finish and that wood is just incredible.
Thank you Ned. I don't know Monk or Nahm but if you see them, say hi for me.:D...S

That is a handsome desk. Thanks Joe, it was a fun piece...S

Sort of reminds me a bit of G&G with the design elements placed in different areas. I just saw some of the G&G stuff for the first time about month ago and realize they are copying my style...S :D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Joe

Great piece. I love the details. Is the top veneer? Hi Jesse, :wave: That is actually the "bad side" of a sheet of 3/4" honduras mahogany I have had for a number of years, just waiting for a project. It seems to be african mahogany on the side I chose to be up. Once I got some 1/4" white oak plywood ( I think it was white oak, but that is not the point) and the bad side was teak!:eek::huh: Go figure:dunno: Needless to say I did not use that plywood on that job....S :)

Well Shaz, You've gone and done it again! Beautiful desk! I really like the little design elements and the figure in that wood is great! Thanks Ed, you know that these little projects start out simple and then.......All the mental options for design creep in and a simple project turns out to be a three day deal! In this case it was for the right person.:).......S

Awesome, Shaz Oh Greg, You're just saying that:eek:, but thanks....S :)

As usual, your craftsmanship and attention to detail are well represented. :thumb:What a great gift that will last forever. I bet your daughter is thrilled. "She was pleased, but then I have been making things for her for a long time. My work however, I think is improving :rolleyes: "......S :)

Very Nice! Thanks Jim. ...:)..S

That is one great looking table, Shaz. Simple, yet fucntional. What more can one ask from a piece of furniture?:thumb:
Thanks Billy,
She seemed to think it would work just fine. That makes it functional. :D...S

Is it knock down? Hi Art, :wave: It would be if I didn't glue in the mushroom plugs that cover the screws :eek:....S :doh:

I only ask, as kids going off to school tend to move frequently for a few years. You are absolutely right. She will be there for about two years and I expect, knowing her, she will stay in the same apartment for the entire time. But you do raise a good point for the new off to college kids, They are usually just as happy with a simple four sided particle board box with a back, painted to match as they would be with a true Chippendale.... ...As for me, I like Funky...:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:,,, S

I don't care what style you call it, I like it.:thumb:

I would take it any time.

Very, very nice.
Hi Ken, :wave: Thank you for sharing that with me. It is a kind thing to say.:eek:.... S :)
It was a good project and the edge banding on that plywood was aligned with a biscuit jointer, which allowed for the use of fewer nails.
It is nice to have had you all share it with me.
Shaz
P.S. So WHAT are YOU folks working on???:D

I'll just echo what the rest of the gang has said...great job, Shaz (as we've come to expect from you). You've got a very fortunate daughter. :thumb:

cool desk shaz! Thanks Tod, anybody could make it , She was just the first to ask for it.:) ...S

great job shaz, i like the details as well. sets it apart from other desks her friends will have in their apartments

chris Appreciate it Chris :wave:. When it comes right down to it there are two things to consider, the FIXED and the VARIABLES. The fixed are those items like important dimensions, time frame, the cost and other things I know you can imagine. The variables can be the materials, colors and finishes , the details etc. On these two projects I got the size and the time frame. Fortunately she was pleased, they fit and were delivered as requested :D ...S

I'll just echo what the rest of the gang has said...great job, Shaz (as we've come to expect from you). You've got a very fortunate daughter. :thumb: Thank you Vaughn, How very kind of you to say....S
This is "Family Woodworking" and it is a good place to be. :wave:
Shaz

Shaz,

Great job :thumb:

The thru tennons on the legs and the chamfered top are very nice touches! Thanks Sean, matter of fact they are really just that thing that I thought it needed to get the type of structural integrity I was looking for in conjunction with aesthetic presentation :eek: ( which is always a concern given certain fixed specs). I like them too :) , Thanks...S

Great job! Shaz,
I can't add anything new to what have been said alreay, thanks for showing it to us. " You are welcome Tony. Sharing is one of the reasons we are all together here. You know how to share, I have seen your pictures and read your comments, Thank you Tony! :thumb:... S "
I am glad to have had this chance to do what I do best for the girl I love.
Shaz
P.S. Maybe you are a better singer, or a better mathmetician, whatever you do best, I believe you are happy when you have the chance to exercise your "gift" for the ones you love.