Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried Another Bowl!

Tried Another Bowl!

I still have a lot of work to do on bowls, but I tried another one. This is a maple that we had to take down in the front yard.

Very nice Ed.

The lip/edge is undercut? Would you share with us how you finished it? It looks pretty glossy.

cheers eh?

Thanks! I hollowed it out with a scraper, and yes I undercut the lip a bit! The finish is Mylands Friction Polish. Quick and easy!

Alright, Ed! That bowl looks great. The wood has nice figure, and your finish looks excellent. Well done, man.

I'd guess by the way you undercut the rim that you're chompin' at the bit to try hollow forms. I know my first few bowls all had undercut rims, and I suspect it's because I really wanted to do hollow forms.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Alright, Ed! That bowl looks great. The wood has nice figure, and your finish looks excellent. Well done, man.

I'd guess by the way you undercut the rim that you're chompin' at the bit to try hollow forms. I know my first few bowls all had undercut rims, and I suspect it's because I really wanted to do hollow forms.
    That's my problem! Yes, I want to try hollow forms...and everything else too! I do want to try some hollow forms, but I have several flat projects I want to do first. In the meantime I'll try to knock out a couple more of these! I really have enjoyed watching your progress at turning!

Beautiful bowl. I like the wood, the finish, and especially the form and execution.

Bruce

Really like the bowl, shape and design finish etc. but were I to have done the project, I would have cleared out that bit of inclusion on the rim. I feel it distracts from the design and the work. The figuring is excellant and has great character but such a small inclusion distracts rather an enhances. This is my opinion and should be taken with a grain of Course ground sea salt...

I do like the design and finish and all the same attibutes other have and will applaud. Thanks for the posting and sharing your work.

The bowl is a beauty Ed and well done. If you want to try your first HF then do it with maple. It is a easy wood to work with.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very pretty wood and a neat shape you turned.

Keep at it Ed, this one is a beaut!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward