Tried Another Bowl!

Ed Nelson

I still have a lot of work to do on bowls, but I tried another one. This is a maple that we had to take down in the front yard.

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0181.jpg

Very nice Ed.

The lip/edge is undercut? Would you share with us how you finished it? It looks pretty glossy.

cheers eh?

Thanks! I hollowed it out with a scraper, and yes I undercut the lip a bit! The finish is Mylands Friction Polish. Quick and easy!

Alright, Ed! :clap: That bowl looks great. The wood has nice figure, and your finish looks excellent. Well done, man. :thumb:

I'd guess by the way you undercut the rim that you're chompin' at the bit to try hollow forms. I know my first few bowls all had undercut rims, and I suspect it's because I really wanted to do hollow forms.

Alright, Ed! :clap: That bowl looks great. The wood has nice figure, and your finish looks excellent. Well done, man. :thumb:

I'd guess by the way you undercut the rim that you're chompin' at the bit to try hollow forms. I know my first few bowls all had undercut rims, and I suspect it's because I really wanted to do hollow forms.

That's my problem! Yes, I want to try hollow forms...and everything else too!:eek: I do want to try some hollow forms, but I have several flat projects I want to do first. In the meantime I'll try to knock out a couple more of these! I really have enjoyed watching your progress at turning!

Really like the bowl, shape and design finish etc. but were I to have done the project, I would have cleared out that bit of inclusion on the rim. I feel it distracts from the design and the work. The figuring is excellant and has great character but such a small inclusion distracts rather an enhances. This is my opinion and should be taken with a grain of Course ground sea salt...

I do like the design and finish and all the same attibutes other have and will applaud. Thanks for the posting and sharing your work. :thumb: