Cedar Shingling Update

Well during the course of putting these cedar shingles on, I was wondering if I was ever going to get done. My goal this long weekend was to get the new addition shingled and I was able to do that. It took me four days granted, but you must consider my slow progress came because I was working by myself, and working with little itty bitty tiny taped sticks of cedar (shingles). The gable end was the worst, a lot of climbing up and down ladders and my tractor bucket which I used as portable staging.

It was gratifying to complete...or at least complete ½ of it depending how you look at it. My new addition is done, but I plan on doing the old part of the house too. That means I really am only half done. I still got to take off the old log siding, trim out the doors and windows then shingle the old part. A lot of work left to go.

Anyway I will leave you two pictures of my progress this weekend. If you look close you can see how I have tricked out the trim a bit to make it look a bit customized. I just did not want the shingles to butt up against windows because I though that looked kind of trashy, and yet I wanted something more than a window boxed in square with boards. With the corner boards I flared them out so it looked a little more distinguished than just two boards nailed together on the side of my house. Just keep in mind I have a long ways to go. I got some white aluminum trim to put up around the soffits, the trim to paint white to "Pop" it from the shingles and some lawn grading to do around the house. The outside to-do list is endless and we have already had frost with another 30 degree night headed our way tonight!! Fall is coming and I am not ready!!

Side_of_House_Shingled-Big-600x455.jpg

Rear_of_House_Shingled-Big-600x455.jpg

That's looking great, Travis. :thumb: Now that you've had all the practice, doing the rest of the house will be that much easier. ;) I think the white trim will really set it off nicely.

I think the picture makes the house look out of proportion. It makes the new addition look like it dwarfs the old part of the house, but they are roughly the same size.

A lot of the details I mentioned just aren't visible in the picture, but as Vaughn said, the white paint should show these small, but important details from off the shingles once I paint it.

Wow Travis, my legs are sore just reading about it! Smart thinking with the tractor bucket, I bet that saved a lot of time. Looks great!

Wes

I like the cupola. Makes for a nice touch.
The windows are a bit hard to see at this resolution, but I can see the bit above the windows, and that looks like it'll be a nice touch.

Are you going to push ahead with residing the rest of the house right away?

Whatever happened with that spring? did you cap it and reroute it somehow?

I like the cupola. Makes for a nice touch.
The windows are a bit hard to see at this resolution, but I can see the bit above the windows, and that looks like it'll be a nice touch.

Are you going to push ahead with residing the rest of the house right away?

Whatever happened with that spring? did you cap it and reroute it somehow?

Yeah with the Yahoo hosting service I use for my website, it gets kind of goofy so I try to keep the pictures smaller in size. As it is, these are bigger than what I typically post. They still suck.

I plan to shingle the rest of the house pretty quick. I am not sure how much I will get done, hopefully at least one side a weekend. Maybe more, who knows. As I type this we have a frost advisory in effect and I just turned on the heat for the house. That is a long way of saying I gotta get any and all outside jobs done before the ground gets frozen and the air is too cold to work anymore. I figure I got about 6 weekends left before it gets brutal...

We did get the spring rerouted and running to daylight, but all summer long there did not seem to be a whole lot coming out of it. It was a normal year rain wise so I am not sure if it was a pooled pocket that we hit, or just a little bit adding up to a lot when we dug. I got some other landscaping to do which will ensure any and all rain run-off will run down the hill. Luckily I live on top of a pretty big hill. Its only 627 feet above sea level, but when you are this close to the ocean, its a pretty big hill!!

Adding to all this building stress is our summer home down in Port Clyde. We are trying to sell it, but those darn home inspectors keep chasing away buyers. I guess they don't realize that a 200 year old cape right on the coast gets its charm because it is a 200 YEAR OLD HOUSE! Anyway everytime we get a buyer, they get an inspector who adds to the list of things to do on it. The realator has been getting after me to get things done on it. For awhile I jumped every time she made a fix-it suggestion, but I made her cry the other day when I balked. They don't like it when you tell them they work for you, not the other way around.

By the way, anyone insterested in a charming seaside home in lovely Port Clyde Maine? :D