Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labor Day weekend accomplishments

Matt Dunlap Guest

Labor Day weekend accomplishments

Last edited by Matt Dunlap; 04-01-2008 at 12:35 AM.

Got all the drawer parts cut for a drawer unit going under the bench. Probably glue up a couple tonight.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Very little shop time for me this weekend. I've been buried with work stuff, but that's just as well, since my shop temps have ranged from about 88 to about 100. (At about 3:15PM the current Weather Service temp for my part of Los Angeles is 105.)

I did take a break last night to finish turn a bowl but at 1:00 AM it was still over 90 degrees in the shop. On the plus side, the lacquer I'm putting on the bowl dries in about 5 minutes. I've heard of "baked enamel" finishes...I'm trying "baked lacquer" on this bowl.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Got my new addition shingled this weekend, and still had time to play with Alyson most of the day today. (Her mother was getting her class ready for the first day of school tomorrow as she is a 5th grade teacher).

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

My "weekend" started last Tuesday, with 3 days off in the middle of the week. I tore off and re-roofed the bad section of the shop that was leaking. Now if the last part starts to leak, I'm going to find some dynamite!! Worked Friday, then Sat I cleaned up the roofing debris, anchored down the tops of the multistation cabinets, re-routed the ductwork to go through the left multistation cabinet, anchored down the ductwork, and installed the foam surround in the top to isolate the duct from the cabinet. Sunday I built a Quick N' Dirty sub box for my 10" DVC woofer. Need to find some filter coils for them now so I can install and have some bass in the shop. Then Sunday after lunch, I started designing and building the router table. I've got the frame work built, and today I spent most of the day getting the Herc-U-Lift to work on the base. Took a little while, and had to steal some parts from a boxed HUL to make it work. I hope I can still make that one work for a small frame for the lunchbox planer. I think it will. Then, well I'm sitting here typing! I hear supper calling. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Lots of work in the shop...

See these two posts

White Walls And New Jointer

Got the TS hooked up to the DC. It's just a temporary setup that I plan on re-doing but it's functional. Spent a lot of time cleaning up, putting parts, tools, and extra ductwork parts away. Then I switched to something enjoyable. Started in on a test mounting of the Tucker vise on a scrap slab. Got it routed and drilled and the mounting plate & stanchion installed and got right up to the point where I'm ready to hang the vise, but I'm going to get a little help for that. I was also dogsitting for a neighbor Saturday and Sunday, so squeezed in lots of walks with China over to visit and let Buddy (a golden retriever) out for duty calls.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Went to a auction sale, worked on my new barn, Larry Merlau and his bride came over for breakfast yesterday morning, then cleaned the woodworking shop and today we went over to Larry's to see his new shop.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Started to deep clean and reorganize the shop. LOML is helping. While she is not much on the woodworking part, she is great at organizing. The rest of the weekend was spent painting the house and doing some yard work.

I managed to get most of the chest done that I have been refinishing. Cut need to put a few coats of sealer on the base molding. Today I Sorted out a truck load of mahogany blanks for turnings and others to get cut into thin strips for scroll saw project. Later went over to the nebies in town and had a few cold ones. Tommrow( Tuesday) I will be going in for a minor surgery to have a nerve stimulator inplanted into my back and will not be able do any lifting for 6 to 10 weeks. Atleast I will have a good reason to be lazy.