Watch out for the wee ones!!

Around here some schools have already started up, and the remaining ones will start tomorrow. I know a lot of people are older on this forum and do not have young kids in school and probably think its of little meaning....

But I am just letting everyone know so that when they are driving and top that hill they will think of this post and anticipate a stopped school bus on the other side. Or anticipate a lot more kids being out next to the road waiting for school. Or out walking to school.

Obviously 7 to 9 AM and 2 to 4 PM are the times to be wary for the we ones.

My little one for the first time got on a school bus today. Mom and Dad (me) had to stand at the end of the driveway to witness the occasion. Even though she is in the 6th grade, the bus thing is new for her.

Besides teaching Agriculture Education in the high school, I drive a bus route. We are on our fourth week of school!!! Bus driving is an amazing job.

Humm...I don't know if I would call it amazing. Perhaps, but I certainly call it an under-appreciated job and certainly one some people take for granted.

The way I see it, our school bus drivers have 60 little kids in their possession and must ensure they get to school on time, while watching out for other drivers, and negotiating nasty roads and nasty weather. (They don't ALWAYS close school down because of snowy weather you know). Of course all the while they must watch that little Johnny does not slap little Jane, or that Little Greg does not take little Seth's lunch pail and eat his snack.

Yes it can get crazy and yet most parents don't give the poor old school bus driver a second thought. Well I do, so Johathan, THANK YOU for all you do for our children!! (and any other bus drivers on here too)

Great post Travis, nice reminder!

I really appreciated our bus driver in high school, he knew every kid on that bus by name, and said "hi" to each and everyone of us. If we got out of hand, he would stop the bus come back and take care of the problem. He was a little French Canadian guy who had a heavy accent and could be gruff as all get out, but was really big old Papa bear taking car of his "kids". Mr. Louie retired the year after I graduated from high school and I bet there were 200 former students at his retirement party. Having that cheerful morning greeting everyday meant something.

My kids went back to school the last week of August, they Start school in April, here in Japan.

Cheers!