Thread: Maple Stamp Holder

Maple Stamp Holder

Maple, you can see the size by the stamps... (i feel to lazy at the moment to go searching for a ruler )

Turned this one for Mr. Bob Merithew, (were kinda on a first name basis...) my favorite teacher... He's a great guy, young too and he has some really cool engineering classes... he also gives me wood not that i need it... but ya know... never can refuse some nice maple now can ya?! one more thing... see my avatar? hes the one that got me into it , we had that car, it was just all raggedy... he and a few other students fixed it up, revamped the steering, etc. and then me (being the smallest) hopped into the drivers seat!! whoo!! anywayyyy just as a general thank you/birthday gift for him.

Critique?? I know about that circle on the lid... i think its bruising but i didnt see it until after it was all done and off the lathe and i didnt wanna mess up the shape trying to fix it...

You do a great job on those Ben, nice work!

Corey

Steve Clardy Guest

Really neat!

Ben,

We used to have a stamp holder before we moved a little over a year ago that was made out of brass. I think it ended up as a casualty of the move as I haven't seen it since... You have just given me a desire to make one out of wood (that is if you don't mind me copying you). Your stamp holder will be "my" first turn in our new shop!! Those are not only decorative but functional as well. Thanks for the idea!!

Denise

Thanks!

Denise: You think I came up with that idea?! na I copied it from an old gent who turns from around here! not the exact shape of course but the general dimensions.... go right ahead... if these forums arent for sharing ideas what are they for?? if you want more exact hole sizes lemme know... if there are enough requests for a tutorial i could definetly put one together fairly easily... might need to wait till next week but i could do it.

The stamp holder looks really good, Ben.

I vote for the tutorial if and when you get time to do it. I learned many years ago when I was a guitar teacher that teaching something to someone is one of the best ways to get to know how to do it. I think I learned more as a teacher than I ever did as a student.

Nice work Ben....Sure beats giving the teacher an apple!

toot please.