Christmas Ornament

Here is a Christmas Ornament I made today and is finished with lacquer. This one was made after seeing Larry Hasiak make these. Hollowed out in two halves then glued back together. When you cut the ball you need to go in at a angle for the first 1/4". It is easier to glue back together. Also make a pencil mark so they go back together in the same position. Burned the glue line and then actually made 4 burned lines so I could color strips. Really pretty easy to make and I like the idea of putting colors on them. They have silver stars on the top. The icicle is pretty short because there was a punky knot right in the middle of it and flew off while turning it down even with light cuts. Didn't turn out to bad though.

Attachments

• Christmas Ornament 5.jpg
    Christmas Ornament 5.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Christmas Ornament 6.jpg
    Christmas Ornament 6.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Very nice, Bernie. How were the two halves held in the lathe? Did you hollow it out before shaping the outside?

Hey Bernie,

I really like the ornaments and I like the method you used to do the interior. I've made them in the past in a similar manner but, looking at yours I had a "ah-ha!" moment. What about making them like you would a turned box so that they could contain something like a message or surprise? A snug fit would allow them to be ornaments and they could also be opened and reclosed sans the glue. What do you think?

Very nice, Bernie. How were the two halves held in the lathe? Did you hollow it out before shaping the outside?

Vaughn what I do is take a 3 x 3 x 6 inch piece of wood. I turn it between centers to get it round. I then cut a tenon on one end which will have the icicle end to fit my chuck. Once chucked I then cut a tenon on the other end. This is important to do this after chucked. Then I form the ball. Once that is formed leaving at least 3/4" thickness so you have some strength when turning. I make a pencil mark so I get it back the same as before I parted it. I use a thin parting tool and go in at a angle about a 1/4" deep then go ahead and part it the rest of the way off. It is easier to glue a angle than if it were straight. I then cut a groove on the inside that will be hollowed with my parting tool about a 1/8" from the edge. This helps when hollowing if your tool should happen to skate as it will do on occasion to keep you from messing up the edge that will be glued. I then hollow the end that will have the icicle and take it out of the chuck and hollow the other end. Then I take thick CA and put it on one side of the ball and spray accelerant on the other one. Line up your pencil marks and use the tailstock as a clamp. Finish turning the icicle and top. I cut a grove on the glue line in fact I cut 4 groves then burn a line in each which hides the glue line. Use colors inbetween the lines. Easy to make and fun.

Hey Bernie, I really like that. I'm not sure if I completely follow the process, but I may have to give it a shot! Thanks for posting. I really like the other items you posted too.