Marty's Projects?

I gotta believe that Mr. Walsh has been producing vast volumes of sawdust in that beautiful "studio" of his, but we haven't seen anything...or at least I haven't ;)

Marty, whatcha been up to lately? Inquiring minds want to know!!! :) :huh:

- Keith

Well Keith,

Since you went to the trouble of asking....:huh:

I have indeed been making loads of sawdust! As I mentioned towards the end of the 'Birth...' thread, I was starting work on my first commissioned piece. It's taking A LOT longer than I had expected and hoped. But a lot of that has to do with my having to learn to use the new tools. I keep reverting to doing things 'the old way' ('the HARD way'), since I'm not used to having all the larger accurate tools at my disposal.

(A big thanks to tod for constantly smacking me up side my head when we talk and he hears how I'm doing something! He's quick to point out how much easier it would be if I just quit working the old way and use 'such-n-such' tool! :doh::dunno:)

Regarding the actual project, I'm planning to start a thread once the piece has been completed and presented to the client. (It's partially a surprise to them, since they don't know a lot of the details, aside from the dimensions and layout. They've given me creative license, which I'm exercising extensively! :rolleyes:)

tod thinks I should post a 'teaser' so folks know that I AM INDEED working...so how about these?

Here's a shot of the bottom of the piece, showing a few of the lower drawers and the bracket feet (which I still need to finesse a little):

DSCN6957.jpg

And here are a few shots of the veneer going into the project:

A gorgeous Mahagony 'crotch':

DSCN6846.jpg

African Sapele to the left, and African 'Mottled Makore' under the Sapele:

DSCN6886.jpg

And finally, a better shot of the 'Mottled Makore':

DSCN6887.jpg

That should give everyone enough of a glimpse to really pique your interest. Just remember it was tod's idea to give the teaser...not mine! :rolleyes:

Thanks for asking Keith...
- Marty -

marty,

looking great so far. that wood has some outstanding figure.

the last shot looks like the wood is 3 dimensional...wow, this outta be a great piece.

ps. good to hear from you, never doubted you were totally busting tail in the new shop.

chris

For those with comments about the grain in those veneers...

The pictures don't even come CLOSE to showing just how stunning that grain really is! In that teaser of the bottom of the piece, I applied some spirits in an attempt to show the grain, but even that picture fails miserably to show it off properly!

- Marty -

Looking good Marty.

P.S. Thanks a lot for getting Debbie hooked on Jazz. She has even gotten me to tune in the jazz station on XM in the shop now.

P.S.S. Hey Matt, what you were 'subjected to' in the studio (and in the house) was BLUES, not Jazz. It was channel 74 (Bluesville) on XM. Hopefully you're thanking me for getting Debbie hooked on that. There's nothing like Stevie Ray, or BB, or .... It rocks! :rolleyes::thumb:

- Marty -

We were just out there waiting for you to come back and visit.:)
Speaking for myself, it is really nice to know you are now enjoying the reward after your long journey. Your teasers are "PRIMO". Thanks.:)
When did you start Faux painting that veneer? :eek:......:rofl::rofl: OH, you said that is real wood..:D:rofl: A likely story......:rolleyes:
Shaz

Marty,

There is very little I have learned about you from your posts that leads me to believe that you aren't working on something. The teaser looks very interesting. Can't wait to see the method thread once it is done.

Marty, that's some great looking veneer you have there! I really like the bracket feet too. can't wait to see what the piece really is!:lurk: I still think you need to install a Marty cam so we can see what's going on down there!:p

Marty, that's some great looking veneer you have there! I really like the bracket feet too. can't wait to see what the piece really is!:lurk: I still think you need to install a Marty cam so we can see what's going on down there!:p

That just ain't gonna happen Ed!

How would I cover up all the mistakes I've been making, with a camera on me all the time? Plus, I'd never hear the end of it when everyone sees how often I sit on one of the stools in the shop...scratching my head, trying to figure out how to do stuff...:huh:

- Marty -