Need Help with Wood Identification

Althought I hate working on old furniture, a friend talked me into helping her with an old table she has. The table in only 26" high and she wants to make it about 29" high. What I'm going to do is turn some leg extenders that will look like the existing bottom of the legs (see second picture) - so the legs will wind up with two large rings at the bottom of the legs. I'll drill out the extensions so the existing legs will fit into the extensions. The net effect will be to add three inches to the legs.

She believes that the table came from England which would lead me to think the wood is English elm. But what do you think? There's some medullary rays showing at the top of the legs.

I'm pointing to the pictures so you can see large images. Click on them and you'll see them full size.

Any help will be appreciated.

Mike

http://www.hh-woodworks.com/images/temp/Kay's-table-009b.jpg

http://www.hh-woodworks.com/images/temp/Kay's-table-008b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like ellum on my screen mike.....but `puters ain`t the best way to i.d. wood under an old patina though:eek:

real difficult to tell from the pics posted. The square section at the top of the leg in the first pic looks almost like it has some medullary rays in the figure which points at Oak but the rail attached to it does like like Elm. Looks like an old piece and its not impossible that a rustic made piece would have both timbers in it. Got any shots of a big wad of grain from the top or wherever?

Hi Mike, :wave:
My only input is "I wish I had some good input for you but I don't". It may turn out to be a smoke and mirror project with a similar grain wood and a blended foot or :eek:... a turned foot with a black lacquer finish, except for a single bead down about 1/3 of your turned foot that you can stain to match existing, or...so many choices, so little time!:doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Shaz

Last edited:
real difficult to tell from the pics posted. The square section at the top of the leg in the first pic looks almost like it has some medullary rays in the figure which points at Oak but the rail attached to it does like like Elm. Looks like an old piece and its not impossible that a rustic made piece would have both timbers in it. Got any shots of a big wad of grain from the top or wherever?
Ian - thanks for your note. I'm absolutely sure it's not oak. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the top - I just took pictures of the leg because that's what I'm going to work on.

But in any case, when I went to my hardwood supplier, they didn't carry elm so I bought some Port Oxford cedar which has similar grain and surface. I think that once I turn it and stain it, it'll be close enough that she won't really notice the difference, especially down at the bottom of the legs.

Thanks to you and Tod for your opinion.

Mike

[Oops, Shaz posted while I was posting and I didn't see his post. Sorry for not mentioning and thanking you, Shaz.]

Last edited:
Just a follow-up. Here's the first extender that I made. I need to go to Kay's house and make sure the bottom of the leg fits into the hole properly (tight but not too tight). If everything fits, I'll make the rest and then try to match the finish.

Mike

Attachments

• Table-leg-extenders-001b.jpg
    Table-leg-extenders-001b.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Table-leg-extenders-004b.jpg
    Table-leg-extenders-004b.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 10