Hehehe ... Murphys Law and bowl #6 :)

John sometimes that just happens. It does to me also and I have learned it could be any number of things from stress on the tree, windshake, etc. But never discount Murphy.:( You just chuck up another piece. I do have one question though. The only thing I use when turning bowls is a bowl gouge. Most times 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" depending on the size I am turning. I have never used a roughing gouge or spindle gouge on a bowl. Why not just use a bowl gouge? Roughing gouges and spindle gouges are mainly for spindle work. I am just curious. Don't want to hear of a accident like the neighbor had when he used a roughing gouge on a bowl. He had a catch and it snapped the tang right where it enters the handle. On a spindle or roughing gouge the tang is the weak point. He came over to look at my bowl gouges after he got back with 9 stiches on a deep gash. He borrowed one of mine to finish the bowl and ordered 3 of his own. Like I said just curious.

Sorry to see that piece didn't want to cooperate. Better to find out now than after it blows up all over your shop.

I'll echo Bernie on the gouge comments...although I have used a roughing gouge on the outside of a bowl (against common advice), I'd be afraid of what a little spindle gouge might do when battling a bowl. If you don't have any bowl gouges, you might consider the Benjamin's Best bowl turning set from PSI. Pretty good bang for the buck, and all four tools are very useful.

Well, I've not had that happen to me, I guess like Bernie said, somethings just happen, maybe that piece REALLY wanted to be firewood :D:rofl:

I'll third the thought about bowl gouges.......Do we have a motion to pass this into law :D :thumb:

That good to hear John. When you watch Bill's DVD you will see he does not use anything but a bowl gouge. He gives you step by step so you will be in business. Like I say I use a bowl gouge period when doing bowls. Vaughn talked about Benjamins Best bowl gouges. I have the 3/8" and 1/2". I also have the high priced Ellsworth ProAM gouge but find myself going back to the BB gouges. Don't get my wrong when doing big bowls the 5/8" Ellsworth will hog some wood. Good luck with the bowl. Oh John one thing you could try and I have had good luck with it is to mix 5 minute epoxy, mix some sanding dust in with it to make a paste. Press into the crack and make sure it is full. If you have to I have used a small screw driver to press it down in. Let it dry and then finish turning. Here is a cherry bowl I used it on with a big crack all the way across it and it came out great. If you turn it down and there are gaps mix up some more and fill it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Cherry Bowl 1.jpg
    Cherry Bowl 1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 18
...it appears that I have the spindle and bowl gouges confused ... no wonder the supposed "bowl" gouge was so hard to hold onto ... it's so short ... it's really the spindle gouge and ... that's why the supposed "spindle" gouge was so nice to use ... it's really the bowl gouge ... I'll be ok ... the doctor says so ...:rofl:
I'd suggest not even bothering with the short one on bowls. Any time you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation (like a tool that feels too short, or a cut that feels a little dicey), that's a warning sign that it might be time to try a different way. DAMHIKT ;)

As Bernie said, Bill's DVD should help you see how that one bigger gouge can do a lot of different things. I've got two 1/2" and a couple 5/8" gouges, and I use the bigger ones for probably 80% - 90% of my cuts.

If you post a pic of your gouges, we can help you identify them. I was in the exact same boat when I started...I got the Harbor Freight chisel set, but didn't know what tools to use for what tasks.

John,

Bernie and Vaughn have been given you some pretty sage advice. Check this link out at Craft Supplies USA www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/roughing_gouge_safety.pdf

Roughing gouges are meant for spindle work only.

I have a 3/8" Robert Larson bowl gouge. It's the only thing I use. When I upgrade my lathe from a mini to a full size lathe shortly, I'll probably go for a bigger bowl gouge then but the 3/8" can stop my motor on my mini.

2nd thought.....If you really want to try and save that bowl....mix some epoxy with instant coffee or just plain coffee grounds and fill that crack and let the epoxy set up overnight. With the epoxy in there, it is less likely to explode on you. Trying to turn it with that crack in it is just an invitation for something to happen. I had a guy send me some cherry from SC so I could turn my first NEs. Both of them split....both of the cracks were filled with epoxy and instant coffee crystals (for the dark color). They turned and finished well!

Good luck John!

Ken