Exhausting a DC Outside

Bill Grumbine

Greetings all

I have an Oneida Gorilla cyclone. I am working on rebuilding my dust collection system, and I have the opportunity to exhaust the thing to the outside of the shop. This means less room taken up in the shop, no more having to empty a filter, etc. I am not concerned about any heat loss, since:

a) my shop is heated with radiant heat

b) the DC is used for short periods of time

c) I have plenty of natural insulation

Has anyone here done this? If so, did you buy or build any special fittings? I am concerned mainly about animals trying to make a nest in the ductwork or the cyclone. Noise is not an issue.

Thanks.

Bill

just keep the discharge up high enough to keep `em out.....mine discharged into a dumpster in my last two buildings and i wish i`d set this one up that way! but it is messy, dust travels in the wind over 1/4 mile so be prepared for a dusty house, cars, close neighbors, pond ect..

Thanks Tod. I am mainly worried about birds. As far as the dust goes, the closest downwind neighbor is over 250 yds away, and on the other side of a tree line. I don't like him anyway. :eek: Other neighbors are protected by the building itself, and a large hedge of lilac and poison ivy.

The farmer who farms the fields across the road creates more dust in a day that I can do in a year. I know mine will be ongoing, but with the steady breeze, the lay of the land, etc, I don't think it will be a problem.

Bill

Bill, I have my Clear Vue exhausting outside. See pics starting at post #15 here: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252
My outlet went to a metal 8-6-6 wye, then thru 2 short sections of 6" flex to de-couple the cyclone from the building (my cyclone is mounted to a separate stand that is also isolated from the building) to to 6" louvered "dryer " vents. The one picture of the vent shows that it has a plastic grid that keeps the big critters out and the birds from making a nest in the pipe or getting to the cyclone. The louvers help too that they drop back to the down position when the unit is not in use, and I'd like to see the animal that could get in when it's running....well, maybe not.:rofl: I got the louvers at Lowes, Home Depot only had 4" units. so far the plastic has held up well, but if it ever goes bad, I think I could replace it with some wire mesh f some sort. Hope this helps! Jim.

My exhaust goes right outside, and I don't see any dust even come out the exhaust ,it all goes in the collector bin.

Mine comes in here above the wood storage.

shop006.jpg

The cyclone is on the other side of the wall,here.

shop005.jpg

Exhaust on the outside looks like this. I covered the end with chicken wire.

owwm041.jpg

I like it. It sucks really good.;) And is really quiet.:thumb:

JEFF:)

Bill,

I've got the most bizarre system you've ever seen, but it essentially does what you're talking about. I've got an el cheapo 1 1/2 HP delta dust collector, which I eventually put up in the vented storage loft above the shop. It's wired to what looks like a light switch. Down in the shop, I've got a metal trash can with one of those new fangled lids. All the chips and dust get caught in that, and the fine particles go up and out. Works well, and there's no exterior sign. I just can't ever let the trash can fill up... ;)

I run it a lot in spring summer and fall. In winter, I just run it when the machines are actually on. I've got a squirrel cage air filter I run most of the time I'm out there in winter. Works for me. I know some people don't believe in them, but I've got no complaints so far...

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going forward with putting the exhaust outside. If I had the location of the shop a little more central to the property, I would sell the cyclone and do like Steve. But, I am right up on the road, and the parking space is wrapped around the shop, so there is nowhere to put the shavings. The bin will be right by the door again, so that will help some. Besides, I have to literally shovel the shop out when it is time to clean up from the lathes, so what is a little more on the floor? :p

Bill