40 Pounds !!! LOST.......

Bartee Lamar

5 months ago it came to change my life, again. I found that caffeine, sugar and food were taking over my life.

So, I decided it was time to get in shape so I can live long enough to enjoy my retirement ( my shop ) and see my grandson graduate from college.

No caffine, No Sugar, No Chocolate ( caffeine and sugar), and no vending machines.

I now eat 5 times a day to keep my metabolism going. I eat smaller portions.

AND I work out 6 times a week. I do my old Nordic Track ski machine Mon/Wed/Fri mornings and I do Jazzercise 3 times a week for 1 hour each. So you ask is Jazzercise co-ed? Well, yes! Me and the ladies. Really it is a GREAT one hour workout.

I have lost 40 lbs, gone from a 40" waist to 36" and from an XL t-shirt to Large.

The most important thing is I feel so much better. I have energy and have gained a lot of strength.

Thanks for letting me share.

Sorry NO Pictures. You really would not want to see them. I will get a new avatar soon.

WTG Bartee and keep it up. I replaced my coffee intake with green tea. I think it still has some caffine in it but not as much. My last bodily sin is cigs. Wife and I gonna quit in about 3 weeks when she gets back from Lake of the Ozarks. Good luck.

Hey Bartee, I'm on a life change too, I'm not working out, yet, as I'm too heavy right now to do so, but I have lost 4 Kg, nearly 9 pounds.

The sad thing is, I have a LOT more to go, but slowly but surely, I must do it.

You can see in my sig line, it says 126 -4, that is my weight now, 126 Kg and that I've lost 4 Kg, so yeah, I was 130 KG when I started, that is darn near 290 pounds. I want to get down to 90 Kg, just under 200 pounds.

I've cut way back on the caffeine, only one cup in the AM when I get up, and way, WAY back on the carbs, eating a lot less on the whole.

Great job on the 40 pounds, that is a lot less weight to be hauling around.

Good luck!:thumb:

Congrats, Bartee! That's great news!

I went through something like that a couple years ago. Lost 70 pounds after a long lecture from my doctor who told me exactly how I would kick the bucket if I didn't change. I know it sounds easy, but it was one of the hardest things I've ever done! I used a nordic trac too... wish I'd thought of the jazzercise angle! ;)

I think more and more of us are going to have to do the same. We hear all this talk about the obesity epidemic, and it just seems abstract. But some day, each of us is going to look around and say "you see a lot of skinny old guys. But you don't see many fat old guys. Why is that?" ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Congrats on your 70 lbs.

You are correct about the epidemic. We are simply eating TOO much and eating bad things.

I have not said I was on a diet as such, but I changed the way I eat. I have lost an average of 2 lbs a week.

Stu,

Thanks for the explanation of your signiture. I kept a running total on my white borad at work. I weighed each Monday AM and put down the total lbs lost from 240 down to 199.

So keep up the work. It IS work the effort. You will feel better and live longer.

Thanks for the post Bartee. I also need to get rid of the extra pounds I gained over the past two years. Thanks for the inspiration - it does help to hear that someone else has been able to shed the pounds. I just started walking a little over 1-1/2 miles a day. Not much, but a start.

Wes

anybody who needs inspiration to eat better need only to visit an ozarks wall-mart on or near the 1st or 15th of the month and look around:eek::eek:

congratulations bartee!
no caffine would leave me flat on my back for weeks:eek:

If you are a regular coffee drinker -- drink it a fair bit -- then you would have trouble making it through the first 48 hours. My father-in-law cut out coffee cold-turkey about 8-10 years ago, and the caffeine withdrawal headaches were very intense. I've had some mild ones myself -- when I've gone away on a weekend with friends and drank a ton of coke, then gone back to nothing the next days -- and they're nasty.

We hear all this talk about the obesity epidemic, and it just seems abstract.

All it takes is a visit to the beach to believe those reports. I was there on the weekend, and it was fairly crowded, and I did plenty of people watching. There were lots and lots of padded adults, and also padded kids.

On the one hand it is good to be reminded that those rake-thin models we see in advertisements and on tv are NOT normal. (eat a sandwich!!)

But it is also sad to see little kids of 8-12 who are well over weight. Oh those poor kids.

Congratulations Bartee, and Stu!

Caffiene withdrawal is a 3 day headache. Just take asprin it will be over.

Now I just go to sleep when my body needs to. The rest of the time I fell GREAT !!!!

I can tell you that the quality of life is worth the change.

The real difference is exercise. I cannot tell you how much better I feel.

WTG Bartee and keep it up. I replaced my coffee intake with green tea. I think it still has some caffine in it but not as much. My last bodily sin is cigs. Wife and I gonna quit in about 3 weeks when she gets back from Lake of the Ozarks. Good luck.

Some new studies (there are always 'new' studies) indicate that coffee and caffeine are good for a person. I'm sticking with mine. No decaff for this ole boy.

Congrats. My paying attention to my health has become directly proportional to my desire to feel good enough, long enough, to continue woodworking as long as possible. I'd hate to just get my shop how I want it and then throw my back out or just plain feel too lousy to do any work. It's a great motivater. ;-)

Glenn,

Exactly. You can see how much time I have spent lately on working on my shop.

I now have the energy and mindset to want to be in the shop and have it be a productive place in which to work.

My life is GREAT and I am having a great time in life.

Congratulations, Bartee! I went through the same thing a while back - lost about 25 pounds and need to lose some more. Trying to do it with exercise now.

Keep up the good work.

Mike

Way to go Bartee, and all you other losers....

Lot of us take better care of our tools than our bodies, forgetting that after all, the body is the most precious tool of all.

Best wishes to all, and here's to less, not fewer, of us.

Ken