Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking in the Netherlands

Woodworking in the Netherlands

Last edited by Dave Richards; 09-05-2007 at 05:09 PM.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

I used to have a pair of clogs, they were real comfortable. In Germany many years ago they didn't look so out of place. Wear them hear and you might get hauled off with a coat with really long sleves.
    Jim

I don't know, Jim. There are a number of ologists and CRNAs that I work with who wear clogs in surgery. Well, only one weird ologist that I can think of wears wooden soled ones.

BTW, is one of those beers for me?
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

I had a fellow from Denmark working with me for several years, Frank Skriver. He always wore clogs, but with no heels( by heels I mean he could just slide his foot in unrestricted) He did have an elevated heel on the sole.. Anything from step ladders to climbing up on a roof. He was talented too.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

That first machine looked like it would get the job done....if you had two left feet!

Hey, doesn't Frank Fusco have one of those machines?

Thanks,

Bill

The proper word for these is "Klompen" and the guy who made them was the "Klompenmaker" (pronounced klom-pen-mahh-ker)

Either FWW or Woodwork magazine had an article a few years ago about a fellow in the states, maybe in Michigan? who had learned the art and was busy hand making klompen. I bet you can still find a demo like this in Holland, Michigan.

Definitely green woodworking. Good luck trying to carve these in dry wood.

My folks are post-WWII dutch immigrants and when I was a kid we always had a pair by the back door. Very handy to just slip into them and tromp out to the garden or garage for a moment. They'd last a couple years before the bottom rotted out, and then it was off to the dutch import store to buy another pair.

Now the kind that are slip on - with a wooden sole and a leather upper, we've never seen there. My folks picked theirs up when they were back visiting the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Hey, doesn't Frank Fusco have one of those machines?

Thanks,

Bill
    Not like that one.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Hi there.

I might be wandering out of thread here but clogs are/were not only used in the Netherlands but in many other european countries as well, even here in Spain where they are still used in some country areas, and they do have specific names depending on the region and their shape.

In cold areas people used to fill them with hay, in this way your feet will be comfortable, cushioned, insulated and hence warm. There is a clog design that has four little short legs to give them more grip on muddy ground.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Then too in Holland I believe, my X and I bought some children's wooden shoes. The boy's were rounded toes and the girls were pointed, or vice versa. Any ideas why? ( We are in for some stories now!)
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how