Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanna see a grown man cry?????????

Wanna see a grown man cry?????????

Have had this nifty rack for my wood turning chisels off to the right side of my lathe on the front of the bench, drop the chisel through a hole and the brass fits in the hole and stops the chisel. Well I have been working with the skew and finally getting the hang of it, and have finally gotten a very "keen" edge on the skews I use (two large ones and one small one). Well finishing an acrylic pen last night, put the skew in the hole and I hear a clang. Yep, look down, the skew fell out of the handle and onto the floor. Yep, concrete floor. Yep, obvious mark on the edge. Yep, near tears. Yep, changing my tool rest design in the very near future. Yep, telling you this to prevent others from tears. Have a good day!!

Ouch! I've been storing mine like this in the rack that came with my Mustard. Looks like I may be reconsidering a different option now.

Thanks for the heads up....I was going to make one this weekend. I think I will have to reconsider. I know that the've been shown before, but maybe we need to ask to see everyone's chisel storage again. Lot's of new members....

Billy, yep, built this right after getting my first lathe. Always thought it so handy. Have never had a magnetic tool rack as I despise magnatized screwdrivers for 99% of time. But, clearly rethinking the rack design and that is one solution. I assume my chisels will become magnetized if I turn them over and put the handle in a hole and let the chisel blade be held by the magnetic strip. Will this be a negative?

Steve, I think it is like a jelly sandwich always falling jelly side down!!

Billy, yep, built this right after getting my first lathe. Always thought it so handy. Have never had a magnetic tool rack as I despise magnatized screwdrivers for 99% of time. But, clearly rethinking the rack design and that is one solution. I assume my chisels will become magnetized if I turn them over and put the handle in a hole and let the chisel blade be held by the magnetic strip. Will this be a negative?

Steve, I think it is like a jelly sandwich always falling jelly side down!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Have had this nifty rack for my wood turning chisels off to the right side of my lathe on the front of the bench, drop the chisel through a hole and the brass fits in the hole and stops the chisel. Well I have been working with the skew and finally getting the hang of it, and have finally gotten a very "keen" edge on the skews I use (two large ones and one small one). Well finishing an acrylic pen last night, put the skew in the hole and I hear a clang. Yep, look down, the skew fell out of the handle and onto the floor. Yep, concrete floor. Yep, obvious mark on the edge. Yep, near tears. Yep, changing my tool rest design in the very near future. Yep, telling you this to prevent others from tears. Have a good day!!

Now you know why you should never sweep the shavings off the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sardo View Post
    Now you know why you should never sweep the shavings off the floor.
    If that's the case, Ron, then I'm covered. There's enough shavings around my lathe to fill about a dozen large dog beds.

Jonathan, I have used the magnetic strips to hold my tools in the past and found that it did magnitize the tool. When using the tool it would stick/drag on the tool rest making it somewhat difficult to control the cuts as the tool would not slide smoothly. I now have mine on the wall.

It's times like this that I'm kinda glad my shop is carpeted. I store my tools in a rack similar to yours at the end of my lathe stand, but so far the only thing that's dropped through is a brass ferrule.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Ouch!!

Why is it that the sharp ends always hit first
    In a word ?? Murphy ...