Wanna see a grown man cry?????????

Have had this nifty rack for my wood turning chisels off to the right side of my lathe on the front of the bench, drop the chisel through a hole and the brass fits in the hole and stops the chisel. Well I have been working with the skew and finally getting the hang of it, and have finally gotten a very "keen" edge on the skews I use (two large ones and one small one). Well finishing an acrylic pen last night, put the skew in the hole and I hear a clang. Yep, look down, the skew fell out of the handle and onto the floor. Yep, concrete floor. Yep, obvious mark on the edge. Yep, near tears. Yep, changing my tool rest design in the very near future. Yep, telling you this to prevent others from tears. Have a good day!!

Thanks for the heads up....I was going to make one this weekend. I think I will have to reconsider. I know that the've been shown before, but maybe we need to ask to see everyone's chisel storage again. Lot's of new members....

Billy, yep, built this right after getting my first lathe. Always thought it so handy. Have never had a magnetic tool rack as I despise magnatized screwdrivers for 99% of time. But, clearly rethinking the rack design and that is one solution. I assume my chisels will become magnetized if I turn them over and put the handle in a hole and let the chisel blade be held by the magnetic strip. Will this be a negative?

Steve, I think it is like a jelly sandwich always falling jelly side down!!:D

Billy, yep, built this right after getting my first lathe. Always thought it so handy. Have never had a magnetic tool rack as I despise magnatized screwdrivers for 99% of time. But, clearly rethinking the rack design and that is one solution. I assume my chisels will become magnetized if I turn them over and put the handle in a hole and let the chisel blade be held by the magnetic strip. Will this be a negative?

Steve, I think it is like a jelly sandwich always falling jelly side down!!:D

Have had this nifty rack for my wood turning chisels off to the right side of my lathe on the front of the bench, drop the chisel through a hole and the brass fits in the hole and stops the chisel. Well I have been working with the skew and finally getting the hang of it, and have finally gotten a very "keen" edge on the skews I use (two large ones and one small one). Well finishing an acrylic pen last night, put the skew in the hole and I hear a clang. Yep, look down, the skew fell out of the handle and onto the floor. Yep, concrete floor. Yep, obvious mark on the edge. Yep, near tears. Yep, changing my tool rest design in the very near future. Yep, telling you this to prevent others from tears. Have a good day!!

Now you know why you should never sweep the shavings off the floor.:D:D

Jonathan, I have used the magnetic strips to hold my tools in the past and found that it did magnitize the tool. When using the tool it would stick/drag on the tool rest making it somewhat difficult to control the cuts as the tool would not slide smoothly. I now have mine on the wall.

Attachments

• shop shots 008-1.jpg
    shop shots 008-1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 46
It's times like this that I'm kinda glad my shop is carpeted. :) I store my tools in a rack similar to yours at the end of my lathe stand, but so far the only thing that's dropped through is a brass ferrule.

I store my Plenthra of lathe tools in a couple of different fashions. My latest lathe is mounted on a cabinet with drawers to hold the tools. I also use a stand that mounts to the bed, I select the number of tools I will be using for that project and keep them at hand. The rack store the tool "pointy end UP"

Depending on which lathe I use , I select from the drawers and place the needed tools close by, I plan to make a mount so I can use the standing rack with either lathe or I may make another. This design is one I have used for decades with the different school shops I have tenured in my career. Perhaps not the mountiong method but the holding style. Hole for the handles a cupped bottom tray and slanted back and placed at an arms reach from the task.

Attachments

• P1000669.JPG
    P1000669.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 27
  • PB040024.JPG
    PB040024.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 35
  • PB040025.JPG
    PB040025.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 30
Jonathan I have a 1 X 4 board attached to the wall. I took a 2" forstner bit and drilled a hole 1/4" deep and glued in 2" PVC with the top cut at a 45 deg angle. I then sit my tools in them steel up. Works great for me.

Well one good thing, the dog always lays under the bench in front of my feet. The tool rest is to my right, at least no dogs were hurt in this situation!!!! And I say dogs because she is about a week from having a batch of pups.

Ron the dang thing cut right through the sawdust!!!!! Never happened when I was swearing at this tool and it was probably to dull to cut hot butter, but no, get it up and running.......:dunno:

Keith thanks for the heads up, knew there was a reason I wouldn't like a magnetic strip. That drag would have bothered me to no end.:thumb:
Also I assume your tool rest is angled but in the picture they look as if they are defying gravity and just standing upright.

Bill, I do like your idea of keeping the "whole host of chisels" in a cabinet and taking what is needed to the lathe. That might become the idea of choice. :D:thumb:

Bernie, do you find yourself "stabbing" yourself as you reach for tools? I generally end up with enough cuts and scrapes without the sharp ends with in reach.:eek:

I guess there's as many solutions to tool storage questions as there are tool owners, but here's one that I stumbled across today that I thought was quite inventive :

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1865472&uid=1001241

Credit to Mike Brazeau from the Canadian Woodworking Forum

I like the Carousel on Mobile Cabinet idea except for the Carousel, I feel is too tall, too much of the handle is stuck down w/in the Carousel and I feel it makes it too hard to reach for and grab the tool ytou wish. You have to grab it by the neck and s;lither it out of the carousel, were he to make the thing a bit lower where you can grasp the tool by the hilt, I would like it better. Still it is a dandy idea and a mobil station so If you do have several lathes and such you don't have to carry tools about or take off across the shop to get one you forgot.