Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaper questions

Shaper questions

I have both a shaper with a 1/2" arbor & a shaper with a 1" arbor.

I see shaper cutters with a 3/4" arbor hole is it possible to use a sleeve to increase the 1/2" arbor up to 3/4" to use a cutter with a 3/4" arbor hole?

Is this cutter made to be used so that it can be used to round over either a 1/4" or 1/2" edge & how would it be used. As I was looking at it it only turns one way so it can't be turned over. Would it be used under for one size & over for the other size?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/C2004

Is there a good place to buy at a reasonable cost both 1/2" arbored cutters for most of my hobby wood working as well as 1" arbored cutters when necessary.

Thanks
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 09-05-2007 at 08:55 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

bart,
    yes you can put a bushing into a cutter with a larger bore so it`ll fit your spindle, for bushings call cg schmidt.......as to the cutter you discribed?? i can`t picture what you`re talking about in my head.
    here`s a link to schmidt;
    http://www.cggschmidt.com/
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Sorry Tod

I thought I had pasted the URL.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/C2004
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

bart, not tod, but best i can tell it looks like it is meant to either be turned over or just raised and lowered to achieve the needed radius.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    .....Is this cutter made to be used so that it can be used to round over either a 1/4" or 1/2" edge & how would it be used. As I was looking at it it only turns one way so it can't be turned over. .....
    I have that cutter. You flip it over and then you reverse the spindle rotation.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

So I either buy another motor that is reversable or seperate cutters.

Thanks

FWIW, all of the 3/4" cutters I have bought have come with 1/2" bushings with them. Being that I only have a 3/4" arbor, I haven't used any of them.

I will ship you a few if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Do you have a 1/2 or 3/4 spindle for your shaper [what brand?] that has the 1" spindle? If not, maybe one is available
    Steve

The 1/2" is Craftsman The 1" is a Davis & Wells.

ok, slap me on the head and call me stupid, but why do you have to flip it over and reverse it??? couldn't you just raise the bit higher and run the board under the cutter for the smaller radius? am i missing something??

chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mire View Post
    ok, slap me on the head and call me stupid, but why do you have to flip it over and reverse it??? couldn't you just raise the bit higher and run the board under the cutter for the smaller radius? am i missing something??

chris

It may be because its considered safer to run the cutter under the material instead of over the top.

Am I right here guys?