Maple Cabinets, Staircase, base trim

Hi Steve, :wave:
Your work looks great! Congratulations.
Thanks for the update.
taking on the building, stain and finish, and the install can really drag out a job, but hopefully the money makes the trade fair.
You can do it!!!!!:D :D :thumb:
Shaz

I guess that you don't have inspections where you live. That staircase wouldn't pass inspection here. No continuous handrail. Look nice though. Bill

I guess that you don't have inspections where you live. That staircase wouldn't pass inspection here. No continuous handrail. Look nice though. Bill

Yes. Noted Bill.
I tried my best to get the builder/homeowner to change the rough construction on the staircase.
The left hand staircase wall should have continued up past the landing upstairs. I saw that problem when bidding the job.
They did not want to move the wall over, nor cut off part of the landing and extend the wall on up.

So that was my only recourse. I thought about placing the upper newel over some, then Z-ing the handrail over for a continous rail. But that would have looked crude, out of place, and make that long hand rail less ridgid.
I also thought about running a another handrail on the right side wall.
That would not have looked in place either.
So.. After several discussions with the owners, telling them they would have three steps without a handrail, they said it go with the way they framed it. So thats what I did.
I didn't really agree with it, but they pays the bill :dunno: :D

There are basically no codes around here. No inspections at all.
There's only one code in our county, and thats a sewer code which is required by the state.

Yes. Noted Bill.
I tried my best to get the builder/homeowner to change the rough construction on the staircase.
The left hand staircase wall should have continued up past the landing upstairs. I saw that problem when bidding the job.
They did not want to move the wall over, nor cut off part of the landing and extend the wall on up.

So that was my only recourse. I thought about placing the upper newel over some, then Z-ing the handrail over for a continous rail. But that would have looked crude, out of place, and make that long hand rail less ridgid.
I also thought about running a another handrail on the right side wall.
That would not have looked in place either.
So.. After several discussions with the owners, telling them they would have three steps without a handrail, they said it go with the way they framed it. So thats what I did.
I didn't really agree with it, but they pays the bill :dunno: :D

There are basically no codes around here. No inspections at all.
There's only one code in our county, and thats a sewer code which is required by the state.

Just as a FYI. When Carpenters here encounter a rail that dies into a wall. I will allow them to use a "S" or offset fitting and continue the rail on up the flight.

http://www.cpstairmasters.com/fittings.html

As long as they keep the required 1 1/2" between the wall and the rail it would meet the intent of the code. Bill

Yes. That would have let the rail continue on up.:thumb:

Customer did not want it done that way, and I though it would have looked out of place.

I sure wish they would have cut the upper balcony back some, and run the wall on up. But I got no where in trying to get that done.:dunno: :)

This job was completed yesterday.
Got paid. Moola is in the bank :thumb:

Now on to finish up a set of Oak cabinets for my sons spec house, and start a set of oak cabinets for a duplex. [2 sets mirrored]

Last edited:
Very nice Steve, didja have any trouble with that maple blowing out when you were planing down the door panels to size?? All the maple I've been getting lately has been really bad about that.

Nice job, very well executed my boy:thumb:

Very nice Steve, didja have any trouble with that maple blowing out when you were planing down the door panels to size?? All the maple I've been getting lately has been really bad about that.

Nice job, very well executed my boy:thumb:

Sure did have some blowouts.

After two blanks, I started surfacing to within a 1/16". then drum sanded them on down. What a pain in the kazoo:(

I hate maple for that:(

Yep Greg. I did have several interruptions during this job.
Lets see. Shop roof. Wrecked truck.

Ugh. I don't want to think about all that on my birthday.;) :D

Beautiful work Steve!:thumb: I know you're glad to get the job complete and cash in the bank! I hope you have another in the works.

Yep. I have one oak kitchen I've been doing during this maple one.
I have the pantry room to fill with cabs, then all the zillion oak doors to do for the kitchen, laundry room, and baths.
Kitchen is done except for the crown molding and doors.
Working on the pantry cabs today.

Plus I will start the duplex cabinets tomorrow.
I have a full schedule:D