Any Experience with Ruud HVAC Systems?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Do any of you have any experience with Ruud heating and air conditioning units? Our central air and furnace have been on their last legs for some time, and last weekend's heat wave here looks like it pushed the AC unit over the edge. LOML and I decided it's time to replace both.

The HVAC guy we like (and trust) has recommended a Ruud system (made by Rheem). Any horror stories about Ruud?

Vaughn......I'm a Lennox man myself.....but if you like .....I can ask around and see what some folks might think about RUUD elsewhere...............I know there are some HVAC folks.....over there.........>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Vaughn.....I did a search at that other site. One guy who's an HVAC technician bought a RUUD to replace his personal A/C. I can't remember the guy's name but he's known for enjoying cleaning his shop.:rolleyes::D

I have had a Ruud for almost three years now and it just works it's little heart out. Never complains. And living where we do the AC must run 300 days a year or better

Last edited:
Vaughn,

That last heat wave had over Labor Day blew my 5 ton condensor had to have it replaced. Went with a Lennox. I about fell over when I got the price.

Doug

Got one in our basement. They put it in last December when we chucked our old dying furnace. Nothing fancy, but it does the job, and the price was quite nice.

Now, to be sure, this was just the furnace - we did not replace the A/C or condenser coils. Cooling is probably a bit more of a concern for you folks than heating.

ttfn
...art

Vaughn, a good friend of mine owns a HVAC company in West Texas. I aksed him what he thought the best was a few years ago. His answer? Ruud... so I bought one and never regretted it. FWIW

I asked a couple of Repair guys what they saw the least doing repairs. Everyone said Trane, but they are expensive! They said other than that they were all pretty similar. There wasn't one that stood out as one they saw a lot.

Vaughn,
Not sure if this is any help, but the installer we used mentioned that the smaller name units typically use off the shelf components versus the big name guys that have a lot of proprietary components. His assertion was the proprietary parts were typically special order, and cost a LOT more. So the "off the shelf" parts make for faster service and less cost.

FWIW,
Wes

Thanks for the input, guys.

Whatever you get, try to get the highest SEER you can afford. More energy efficient. I personally will not get a unit with a SEER less than 14.
The system we're looking at is a 14 SEER unit. Although he'd be glad to sell me a higher one, my HVAC guy recommended not going any higher than that, since there's a pretty big price jump when you go above 14 SEER, and the additional efficiency doesn't necessarily justify the additional expense.

Vaughn,
Not sure if this is any help, but the installer we used mentioned that the smaller name units typically use off the shelf components versus the big name guys that have a lot of proprietary components. His assertion was the proprietary parts were typically special order, and cost a LOT more. So the "off the shelf" parts make for faster service and less cost.

FWIW,
Wes
I've heard and read the same thing, Wes. Similar story for the higher-efficiency units. The parts are more costly and potentially harder to find.

Looks like we'll be going with the Ruud Achiever Series. Here's a snippet from a review of it:

In reviews the Rheem Classic 14, also sold as the Ruud Achiever 14, is the experts' pick in a basic, high-efficiency AC unit. This model uses R-410A refrigerant, and is rated at 14 SEER. Its single-stage scroll-type compressor is the most reliable and trouble-free type of compressor, say contractors. The Rheem/Ruud has a protective cabinet to keep the coil from being harmed by lawnmowers or other yard debris, and the unit comes with a ten-year compressor warranty and five years coverage on other parts.
We're also replacing the furnace and air exchanger...everything but the ductwork, which is in good shape.

The price is not quite as bad as I had thought it might be, but suffice to say it's enough to by the lathe of my dreams. :rolleyes:

Thanks again -

The price is not quite as bad as I had thought it might be, but suffice to say it's enough to by the lathe of my dreams. :rolleyes:

-

just be sure that your wife understands that this is to keep "her" comfortable.....and that the next major cash outlay will be to aid in your comfort:rolleyes:

just be sure that your wife understands that this is to keep "her" comfortable.....and that the next major cash outlay will be to aid in your comfort:rolleyes:
In our current case, it's more for her mom's comfort. (The live-in semi-invalid MIL.) ;)

We've got a few more big purchases on the horizon (electrical upgrade -- including 220v in the shop, new rain gutters, some vehicle maintenance like a new timing belt, and trimming of 80' tall trees, etc.), but I hope to build a little lathe money into the deal. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Who cares about the AC Vaughn....what kind of lathe you thinkin to get??? I'm contemplating getting one.

Doug
Unless LOML wins the lottery, I don't think the one I really want is in the cards. (The Robust American Beauty, although I'd not refuse the Sweet 16, either.) I suspect I'll end up with the PM 3520B when I do upgrade. Still too early to tell for certain what I'll end up with, though. My current lathe has a 15" swing, so I don't think I'd be satisfied upgrading to one of the 16" lathes. With a bed extension in the lower position, the PM can swing well over 20". (I don't recall the numbers offhand...someone else will hopefully chime in.)

I'm leaning towards the Robust myself. Alot of information on it and great features.

Doug
Considering the way you've outfitted the rest of your shop, I suspected that was what you were thinking about getting. ;)

On the other hand, I could make you a SWEET deal on a used Sears lathe, Doug. It can be yours for only 3 grand, and I'll even throw in free delivery and setup. And, if you call in the next 24 hours, we'll add the wooden stand! So don't delay, operators are standing by!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(As much as I thumb my nose at the Craftsman lathe, it's served me pretty well, produced some nice stuff, and I've learned a lot using it. $300 well spent, in my book.) :thumb: