Who Let The Dogs Out..............

Stuart Ablett

......Bench Dogs, that is......... :D

I have a nice large Record woodworking vice on the one corner of my work table/bench. When I have to hold something flat on the bench, say to hand plane it, I will often screw a block to the top of the table, which works, but makes a lot of holes in my table top.....

abench_old_way.JPG
This is how I used to do it, block screwed to the bench top

bbench_start.JPG
So this is what I started with....

cbench_insert_idea.JPG
I have this nice thick chunk of wood, it is White Oak, and was from an old table that I got from the curbside. Hard, flat dry, should work well.

dbench_insert_cut.JPG
I cut a shoulder on the insert piece

ebench_first_cut_setup.JPG
I used some plywood scraps to make a template of sorts to make the cut.

fbench_1st_cut_done.JPG
Here I did a shallow cut just to check the fit....

gbench_shallow_cut.JPG
Here I've cut the first cut, the part where the shoulder will fit

hbench_deep_cut.JPG
Here I am setting up to cut the deeper cut, for the insert.

ibench_check_fit.JPG
There it is, it fits! :D

jbench_finished.JPG
OK, it is done, I did NOT glue it in place, I just screwed it down, in case I need to replace it at some point.

Now I need to make some bench dogs :D

Cheers!

Looks nice and clean and mighty functional Stu. Seems I'm always upgrading my bench one way or another. The latest for me is I finally got round to attaching the new quick release Jorgenson vise I bought about six months back. Of course I had to drill more holes in the benchtop to do it.

Looks like a Well Used Bench, and a good modification and a good idea. :thumb: Some of us common folks who have battle scarred work benches can use that approach.

I especially like that you pictured your planes correctly placed on their sides while laying idle. :thumb: (This will start a Hurah from the knuckle draggers who insist it don't matter. :eek:)

Thanks Bill!

My Grandfather would smack us upside the head if he ever saw us put a plane down NOT on it's side, so I guess I that is where I get if from, I don't really care which way is "Right", I just do it the way I was taught.

Cheers!

Great idea Stu.:thumb: I need to do something like that on my bench as well - now ya got me to thinking - always dangerous.:rolleyes:

Wes

Hi Stu.
Looks good!:thumb: Now you can use the bucks that you save from screws to fill in the rest of the holes:rofl:

You say you need to make some bench dogs... :huh:

I'd say you need only one, don't you:D So make sure it is THE ULTIMATE BENCH DOG

Sorry Stu, today I got up with this "tongue in cheek" frame of mind, it's friday and I'm tired of a hectic week, thanks God we still have woodworking to keep us sane.:)

Hey Stu.

Your are something like 7 hours ahead of here aren't you, so in Japan is around mid day I guess, isn't it? Here it is o8:24 AM

Nice bench dogs, same wood as the insert?

Not sure, I don't think so, both were just some scraps. I'd say the insert is white oak, and the dogs were beech.......??? :wave:

Dunno how many hours ahead of Spain we are :huh: :dunno:

You can make your own personal world time clock, :thumb:

Yep ... and once you set it up, you can even send a URL to others so they can see the same set of cities.

I've used this tool for a couple of years ... I work with folks in each of the (continental) US time zones and in India (and for a couple years there, in Australia as well). The Personal World Clock helps me keep my sanity ... and choose the best time for conference calls. :rolleyes:

[A little FURTHER off-topic] Did you know that India has 200-million+ more people than North and South America combined? :eek: And that the whole country is in ONE time zone? And that they're "on the half hour"? Wild....