Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long drive to Lee Valley

Long drive to Lee Valley

Well, we decided to visit some friends in Nova Scotia as part of our summer mystery tour, and found a Lee Valley store. Of course, had to stop by for a visit, even tho it is 2055 miles from home!

Very different from a Wood Craft or Rockler store (which I visited in Portland ME -- see a pattern here?) there is a long counter along one side of the store, customer's "take a number" and place their orders when called. Most of the tools etc are in wonderful display cases, but behind lock and key. We didn't stay long because we had limited time with our friends, and I didn't want to bother with customs returning to the states. But heck, at least I now know what the store behind the catalog looks like!

Jay

Jay,
    The stores I've been in have plenty of things out that you can handle. As well, just ask the nice folks behind the counter and they'll take things out of cabinets for you to look at. OR, when you buy something, they bring it to the counter and you can inspect it before bringing it over to the cash register.

However, you seemed to have missed something... Over in the corner of each store that I've been to is the "discount/return" display. This is where you can find the surprise deals. This is where you'll find some of the "special purchase" items, and also things that were returned, or have missing items from the package, marked down nicely.

...art

That Lee Valley thing is really interesting. Sounds like the way an auto parts store does business. I guess that it would really hold the cost down.

Allen, it reminded me more of Service Merchandise or Best Products (remember them?) Only much nicer products. I've only been to the one by Art.

I think they just lock the stuff up when the see the Americans pulling into the parking lot.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Allen, it reminded me more of Service Merchandise or Best Products (remember them?) Only much nicer products. I've only been to the one by Art.
    It's a catalog store. In my youth I visited a few stores that had catalog counters, but never a store that was _exclusively_ a catalog store.

Even Lee Valley does have some cabinets with "special buys" and other
    non-catalog items in them.

(ie: in the Ottawa store last month I found a barrel full of pool cue seconds. What's up with that?)

As to your last comment... i've been to three of them (Edmonton, London, and Ottawa). Time for a survey - how many have you visited?

I've been to the one in London, back in June 2005. It was a quick trip in and out, because we where on are way to Niagra Falls and I told the wife it was on the way there was alot of road construction plus we got lost out around the airport so I didn't get to spend all the time I wanted to.

If I remember they had a combination of hands on and behind the glass displays. It was nice to see and play with some of the things you see in the catalog, I made a sizable order when we got back home
    my goal in life is to be as good a person as my kids think i am

life is short, even in it's longest days

Hey Jay glad to see you are on your way, and still have access to the internet as you travel. As always, travel safe my friend and watch out for those Maine Moose!

I also hope you still got my phone number. I will be around all weekend (and since our shop is a 4 day a week shop, that means I should be near a phone starting now). It would be great to meet you.

I double checked with my boss if it was okay to show you and your wife the latest boat we are working on, and he was like , "Oh yeah, no problem..." so that is a go. I really hope you get the chance to stop in and see it. Its not floating but rather in a building but still very impressive..as a 15 million dollar yacht should be.

As a woodworker I think you will really appreciate the woodwork inside this boat. One carpenter alone worked one whole year on just the circular staircase, and I got 6 months on the cabinet trim...and that was just the stainless inlay let into the cabinets and granite countertop!! If you get the chance, stop in, I think you and your wife will really enjoy it.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    ...One carpenter alone worked one whole year on just the circular staircase, and I got 6 months on the cabinet trim...
    Well, if the workers would quit dragging their feet and milking the job for all it's worth, then that boat might not need to cost $15 million.

Sounds like a heck of a boat, Travis.

[We now return to our regularly scheduled Lee Valley thread.]
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Lee Valley has been at the Woodworking Shows the last couple of years in our area.
    Sure wish they would bring more goodies
    They have hands on displays, but you cannot buy anything there at the show from them. You order, pay, they ship.
    Steve, they're not picking on you. That is how they work at the woodshows here in Canada also. However, the shipping is free, and there is usually a 7% (?) discount as well, so it still is cheaper than visiting the store or ordering from the catalog.