Thread: canes for veterans

canes for veterans

This project was mentioned on a penturning forum. I borrowed it for posting here.
    http://www.eowca.com/cane.html
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

That was very nice of you Frank.

My carving talents are as bad as my spellininggs.
    Hopefully someone will take on this fun to due project, that has
    the talent.

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Bob, you might recall my mentioning a good friend who is (was) one of the country's top, master, wood carvers. Sadly, he now is in a nursing home after a serious stroke months ago. He sold many resin castings of his carvings. (as smart a businessman as he was a great carver) Among his carvings, I'm sure he has an Eagle head about the right size. His thought and speech processes are still good. I'm considering approaching him with the request to use his master and get castings made for cane heads. My woodturning club could make the actual canes. At this point, it's just an idea.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

We have a museum near us (Hamden, Maine) that was started by a trucking company owner. He was nearly killed in WWII and saw 8 of 13 of his platoon get killed. He has a section dedicated to veterans.

Anyway he just sent a letter to the local radio station and they announced that they had several hundred canes. If a veteran comes into the museum and has a military ID, they get a cane...free.

I thought that was nice of him. The Museum is called the Coles Transportation Museum in Hamden, Maine.

http://www.colemuseum.org/
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"