amusing canine story

We have two dogs, brother and sister Jack Russell / Basset / Dachshund mixes. The boy likes to bite flies out of the air, but is very long and can't even "jump" lift his front legs too high. Needless to say, it takes either a stupid fly or a persistent dog (both are possible) in order for "The Great White Fly Hunter" to achieve success.

While I was helping Ned build his shop last weekend, my wife was home with the dogs. The other night Zeus (the dog in question) started making "chompers" at a fly buzzing around in the bedroom. This reminded my wife to tell me that Zeus had managed to jump / climb from his chair onto a 3' tall table (about 4 times his shoulder-height from the ground) in pursuit of a fly. Before my wife could do anything he then leapt off the table and snagged the fly in mid-air. Surprisingly, he seems none the worse for wear, though my wife may have lost a couple weeks of her life expectancy due to the shock of the moment.

One the one hand I wish I could've seen the event. On the other hand, I'm sure that all that would have registered in my eyes at that moment would have been a large vet bill, which, thankfully was not needed at all.

That's cute! Glad there was no damage to the dog or furniture! The poor fly on the other hand...oh well!:rofl: I've known a lot of canine "parents" that say "my dog can't do this or that", then the pup surprises them by doing exactly what they thought they couldn't! I'm sure it was impressive to see!

:rofl::rofl: Sounds like something our dog would do. He's not the brightest bulb on the tree.:D

Glad he was successful all the way around.

Wes

My Mom and Dad's dog does that, her name is Brandy, and files are not a problem, but she will chomp anything that flies, including bees :eek:

That has resulted in a trip to the vet and a few shots, as well as one sheepish dog..........but, she has done it a few times :rolleyes: :D

My Mom and Dad's dog does that, her name is Brandy, and files are not a problem, but she will chomp anything that flies, including bees :eek:

That has resulted in a trip to the vet and a few shots, as well as one sheepish dog..........but, she has done it a few times :rolleyes: :D

Not that I would have any experience with this, but did the dog go, "CHOMP! yelp, growl, growl, yelp, yowl, growl, yelp, yelp, look to Momma for help"?