Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HVLP Spray Gun Recommendations

Trinity County - 160 miles north of San Francisco. Redwood forest.

HVLP Spray Gun Recommendations

I want to get a conversion gun to run on my 4hp air compressor. I've had a lot of experience, including doing lacquer jobs on late 1930s car restorations.

Before I got serious about woodworking, I would use my Binks 'door jamb' spray gun and was moderately pleased with the results. What is the word for serious furniture refinishing using HVLP guns?

Gary Curtis

This is the one that I use and I really like it. http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%20SHP5495.htm

As well as the canister on the gun I also got the 2 quart pressure pot and hoses. I will admit that I have only sprayed waterbased stuff so far but I do not know why it would not perform just as well with anything else. I also purchased a .8 tip to go with the 1.2 but have only needed the 1.2 tip so far. I like the option to use the gun mounted canister for small jobs and use the two quart for larger jobs. I also like the pressure pot set up so that I can use the gun in any position that I need to.

Of course if you really want to go high end or low end sparygunworld has those also. They had the best prices that I could find at the time that I bought mine and they were good to work with.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 09-07-2007 at 04:02 AM.

gary,
    here`s the gravity feed i like;
    http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...s%20Mach1G.htm

and here`s the pot gun i like;

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...ks%20Mach1.htm

like allen i`ve found spraygunworld easy to deal with.......

if money is no object sata makes the best guns going but i haven`t found a need spraying wood finishes.
    tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I had been using a Porter Cable PSH1 gravity fed conversion gun, and have been happy with the results. I liked it so much I ordered a second one when Amazon had them on sale for less than $50. I know several people that have gotten Wagner, Vaspar, and even Harbor Freight and have had good results overall. At least with the PSH1, I have had zero success spraying latex paint. I was to put it bluntly, stupid when I tried it. I didn't thin the paint, didn't use floetrol, and didn't use a larger needle size.....

FWIW, I have since gone full bore into HVLP and got the Fuji Q4 which IMO is pretty impressive. Small, not real loud, and a 4 stage turbine to boot. Got it for 20% off during Amazon's paint supply sale and it was a lot cheaper than anywhere else I have seen.

HVLP

thanks all,

I just got off the phone with Spraygunworld. It looks like the Asturo from Italy would meet my requirements, both for quality and to match my compressor output.

I'm going to demand a lot from this baby, so I don't want to skimp on the purchase price.

gary curtis

Gary, Which one did you get? Is it this one? http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...re%20Wood.html

Let us know how you like it.

I personally think that this is one thing not to skimp on like you said as it will last you for years if it is a good one.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 09-07-2007 at 07:36 PM.

I'm late posting but I use the PC PSH1 and have been very satisfied with it.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Allen, I didn't order the gun yet. It will be the Astura K series gravity feed gun. It is the blue model.

Gary

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Gary,

I have an astro, and I did buy it from Astro, but I have the LVLP model.

Astro EVO4018 LVLP

It's worked well for me, but I have only sprayed about 4 projects, the biggest being the inside of the office I built in my backyard.

I use it with a small Ingersol Rand GarageMate, hence the LVLP.

Another vote for spraygunworld, good folks, shipped fast and easy to deal with. Even got mine on sale, only about $60 at the time.

HVLP

The gun I ordered is the Italian-made Asturo. Not Astro. Both are sold by spraygunworld. I've used a variety of guns and find spraying to be rather unforgiving when it comes to the spray pattern and adjustability.

When I was doing cars, and the materials ran upwards of $500, there were times I wished I had something better than my Binks. My guess is that furniture finishes are not so demanding.

If I like the HVLP setup, after awhile I might look into a Turbine for the air. Although I am put off by that unwieldy hose. Your wrist technique is very, very important when handling a spray gun, and the thicker turbine hose is burdensome.

Gary