My trigger finger got itchy again....

tod....I broke out rough-neckin' for my Dad on oil rigs in 1964 at age 15. By the time I was 23 I knew I was stronger than the average guy my size and proved it regularly. My youngest son while in college was watching me help a neighbor removing fence posts embedded in 4' of concrete. I was drilling holes in the pipe..putting a rod through the hole and then using a chain and a high lift jack and jacking them out. Another neighbor came over and said "Jump in there and pull those out Mike"....Mike said "If Dad can't pull them out by hand....Nobody can"....

That was prior to April 2001 when I broke my back....I'm 8 mm shorter than I used to be and a whole lot wiser..10 weeks laying on your back gives you time to reaccess things in life.....I WILL find some way of getting the b/s off the pallets and the lathe assembled and I won't be using my back!

Thanks for the concern tod!

Last edited:
We miss your smiling face.

Yes we do. I felt like that I knew you when it was there.

This is what I use to lift heavy stuff. It is bolted in above the sheetrock to just have it in place and out of the way untill I need it. I bolt or clamp 4x4s to the vertical pieces to support the weight when I need to lift something. If I had room I would have it welded to A frames on the ends and have wheels on it as it would make things a lot easier. It sure beats nothing however.

Attachments

• dscf0008.jpg
    dscf0008.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 16
  • dscf0007.jpg
    dscf0007.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
BTW....Nancy...you'll notice about 60% of the walls and ceiling are final coated with satin white exterior enamel.

Ken, I'm proud of you!!! :thumb::thumb: I really didn't think you'd be able to go this long without making curls on your mini:rofl:, but you've proved me wrong. I think you made the right choice of wall color and it's LOOKING GOOD!!!!:thumb::thumb:

Congrats on the saw, and new lathe, a CLEANED-UP SHOP, and the larger picture in your avatar. Now we can see what you really look like rather than squinting at that little pic.;)

Nancy (93 days)

I apologize for the earlier advice about getting that BS off the pallet by yourself. I had forgotten about your back. :eek: Get some help or rig up the doohicky tod is talking about.

Karl

Just for the record Karl..........1 year after breaking my back, I lifted a 200 lb. x-ray tube into my van....but I did it correctly. tod's met me....I'm a fairly strapping lad...I used to be strong....now I'm older, weaker.....a little more experienced.....a 200 lb. x-ray tube lifted vertically 8-10 inches is one thing....a 561 lb. bandsaw.....vertically 8 inches.......Well....It's bigger than me and I won't chance it!:doh:

Yup.....it's boxed sitting in the shop. A tree trimmer was using my driveway to trim the neighbors tree when the owner of the Spokane Woodcraft Store delivered it. He backed his trailer onto my carport.......Unload it.....went through the gates into the back yard. The tree trimmer saw us and volunteered to move his truck......Instead my oldest son and I and some of the tree trimmers helpers got 3 sheets of plywood from my shop and a couple from the tree trimmers truck.....we rolled it on the plywood highway through the garage door in the shop. It's there boxed up. The oldest son stayed around to help me hang a couple of the fluorescent fixtures......$600+ worth of fluorescent fixtures and bulbs...been sitting on the floor for over 18 months gathering dust!.........Later tonight, I"ll wire up that row and for the first time in 3 years I won't have to use construction lights to see or turn.....You sorry rascals!:eek::rolleyes::D

Ken, I have a mental picture of you dancing around the shop--first around the BS and then around the lathe and back again. Doing a little jig, are you??? :D:D Remember, you can NOT uncrate the lathe or the BS until all the walls are painted and all the lights hung and working. Nothing to get you off-track this time, huh?:dunno:

Nancy (93 days)

First off Nancy.....you ain't my Momma......you ain't my wife......and you ain't here to stop me!:eek::rolleyes::D

I want that shop finished and then assemble the machines and positioned so I can order my DC from Oneida and let them design the duct work.......

Yup.....it's boxed sitting in the shop. A tree trimmer was using my driveway to trim the neighbors tree when the owner of the Spokane Woodcraft Store delivered it. He backed his trailer onto my carport.......Unload it.....went through the gates into the back yard. The tree trimmer saw us and volunteered to move his truck......Instead my oldest son and I and some of the tree trimmers helpers got 3 sheets of plywood from my shop and a couple from the tree trimmers truck.....we rolled it on the plywood highway through the garage door in the shop. It's there boxed up. The oldest son stayed around to help me hang a couple of the fluorescent fixtures......$600+ worth of fluorescent fixtures and bulbs...been sitting on the floor for over 18 months gathering dust!.........Later tonight, I"ll wire up that row and for the first time in 3 years I won't have to use construction lights to see or turn.....You sorry rascals!:eek::rolleyes::D
As much as I'd love to believe this story, I'm sorry to have to say it didn't happen:rolleyes: