Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: observations of woodworkers natures

observations of woodworkers natures

i`ve noticed myself doing the "if only i had an xyz gizmo my life would be so much easier".....after a few years and many hundred gizmos and untold thousands of dollars i`ve realized that all it takes is some basic tools and lots of desire...
    i no longer drool over the latest-n-greatest gizmos that show up in the mailbox all to frequently in glossy ink promising to shave either thought or labor from my endevors......
    large equipment is one thing.....but a "gizmo" is anything that claims to be new and improved or a better way to skin the proverbial cat....wood can only be shaved,cut,or scraped in so many different ways.....same with measuring-n-marking...after a fellow assembles his basic arsenal it`s a matter of becoming comfortable with them not getting more "stuff" to be uncomfortable with.....
    so those of you who are assembling your arsenals, buy the best you can and become comfortable with "it" before looking for the latest-n-greatest....
    hopefully my ramblings will save a few folks some time-n-money.
    tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I think he is talking about me.
    When I leave Tod's shop, I'm usually drooling worse'n his three big puppies. And, folks, that's a LOT of drool.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Geeez Tod, couldn't you have posted this, ten years ago!!!!!
    You are right on the money, the amount of tools owned will never replace talent/craftsmanship.
    But please don't tell my wife that I said that!!!!!

Interesting... an article in my latest WW Journal says pretty much the same thing. And agreed, acquisition is a great thing, but if you don't have or take the time to learn to properly and adequately use the items acquired, the point becomes rather moot. Why? Because in the end these under used items become nothing more than (sometimes high $$$) dust collectors... pun intended.

Me thinks Tod has found something he really really wants, but can't justify getting it....hence the rambling soliloquy, hoping to ease his pain....

Naw.....I think he's trying to say that I'm wasting my money.....Don't have any talent.......

Thanks for the insight Tod. Just don't let the wife know and we can still be friends!

nope, haven`t found anything i want and ken has become a better turner than i currently am.....
    just trying to be helpfull.........i got more wiz-bang fliers in the mail and when i catch myself even opening the cover i catch myself thinking of the last bass i caught and i see the catalogues for what they are......bait.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks Tod, good advice. I've got a basic shop right now - maybe I need to get my rear in gear and make something with it!

Thanks for passing along this bit-o-wisdom.

Wes

thanks for that tod. i don't necessarily find myself drooling over the gizmos, although i do drool over that slider all the time, even though when i stop and think about how fast i can cut out a set on my cab saw with the help of my aircraft carrier extension table (currently 8' wide x 9' long) i realize i could never justify it. although there are still many machines i need to acquire, my shop is proof that with a little sweat and desire, it can be done, it just might not be as easy or as fast as if i had some better tools, but in time they will come.

thanks again
    chris