observations of woodworkers natures

Well Tod......

You have again hit the nail on the head and I don't think you can find a wood worker that isn't guilty in some way or another of exactly what you are saying. Now I know Stu is denying it, but he is known to tell a little white lie now and again so we will just have to ignore him on this one :D:D

I am sorry you had to do all that one finger typing :type: to hi lite this inherent fault in us, but I have to admit.....

I'm too old to change my ways :rofl::rofl::rofl:

[Quietly goes over to Amazon.com to cancel the order I just placed for the new Wiggle Woggle 50000. :eek: ]

:rofl:

Good post, Tod. Like most of the gang here, I've bought a few unneeded gizmos in the couple years I've been working wood. Some are things that will likely be useful for future projects (pocket hole jig and biscuit joiner, for example...good tools, but not really needed for the things I've built), but I bought them early on when I had the tool fever pretty bad, and just figured I HAD to own them. After those early experiences, I've done pretty well at resisting the urge to buy more Wiggle Woggle 50000s.

Hey...I like gizmo's. After all I'm sitting on my deck partaking in my TGIF cocktail typing on this here laptop puter that's connected this magical wireless thingeee....

Now as far as woodworking gizmos...you are right on. The only magic gizmo is in the persons brain and hands that figures a way to remove the extra wood to allow the pretty stuff to show.

Off to the gizmo that some call an icebox...:wave:

Hi Tod, :wave:
A marvelously stimulating thread that has great merit and sense for all of us involved with wood working. I didn't know what a CSMS ( I think that is what it's called) ... A compound sliding mitre saw?...never heard of it until I join up with this forum.
. Anyway, the point is ...Good tools don't make a good craftsman. Just like awesome clothes and the best skiis don't make you a good skier. The best rod and reel don't make you the best fisher"person"...:D HOWEVER, I also believe that you will know you are improving when you realize the shortcommings of your tool!
The point you make is great, use what you have, procure what you need,
and don't just go shopping to be a better craftsman.........CUT WOOD/BUILD SOMETHING!! Ask questions, and try using what you have.
Shaz

Good post Tod! I don't usually fall for the gizmos simply because I'm too cheap! I do try o look at it from the point of "that's really neat, but do I have something that will do the job?" I really have to justify most of my purchases, but every once in a while an impulse strikes!:rolleyes:

Thanks Tod, but I'm still going to buy me some Festools. :D

Seriously though, the only tool that I have ever regretted purchasing was my table saw, which was my first major tool purchase. I only use it because it is there, but most of the time it just gets in my way. There is nothing that my table saw can do that I wouldn't prefer doing with another tool.

Other than that, I've been happy with all of my tool purchases since I make sure I really want/need them now before I buy them.

By the way, I remember you were telling me, way back when, that even though I don't like cordless tools, that I should look into one of them cordless impact drivers, and I just wanted to let you know that I was able to find a really nice corded impact driver.

Oh and one last thing, I'm sure it's easy not to drool when you have a small army of Mini Max machinery at your command. :p

Man Vaughn - you should have said - I've got two here just gathering dust:D
Thanks for the overly generous offer, but the British ones are specially wired for use with metric power. We can only get SAE power here in the States (unless we have an expensive power flanger), so I had ordered the 'Merican version of the Wiggle Woggle 50000. The 50000A.
whistling.gif

ya`ll, this thread was intended to get folks thinking.....i`m really glad it did just that! everybody works differently and prefers different tooling to achieve an end, there is no right or wrong answer, no "better brand"....just think before you succumb to pretty picture toolitis.....some of the most beautiful antiques i`ve seen where hacked out by hand on dimly lit benches long befor color printing was available...

but but but

http://sawstop.com/products-contractor-saw.htm :D

I've been thinking about upgrading from my little dewalt benchtop but can't afford the cabinet saw (money or space)

However, I think that the safety features of this far transcend the "gizmo" status (OK, easy now everyone, yeah I know keep your hands away from the blade and you'll never have an accident)

Tod, you are very right about "tool itis" and the advice you've given in the past of "use what you've got" is spot on. I'm still fighting with my dovetail jig, and haven't really produced anything of value from it. But after having taken a class in hand cut dovetails, I'm convinced that that route just isn't for me so I've got to learn to use the jig if I'm going to put dovetails on my drawers.

Hey, you blew me out of the water.
I wanted that $800 Dinimo..............now your are saying
that it is gizmo?

OK you talked me out of it.

Wow Stu thank you, that puts me in some pretty good company... seeing how much I love my pocket hole jig.:D

I'm not typically a gizmo guy in the shop (well... if you ignore the dry cleaning rack :rofl:)
but that CNC router thingy sure has come in handy.:thumb:

Hey, you blew me out of the water.
I wanted that $800 Dinimo..............now your are saying
that it is gizmo?

OK you talked me out of it.

bob, i`m not saying anything in particular is a "gizmo"......just put down the glossy pictures and pick up a board and think about what good use of your money is....if a domino or dovetail jig or sawstop really is good use of your money then by all means get it!.......but if it`s possibly another sit on the shelf, gather dust item why bother?