Hometown Woodworking Shop Tour

Gail O'Rourke

I was so touched the other day when I received an email from Family Woodworking wishing me a Happy Birthday. What a nice place this is to be.

I thought that I would post a link to a video shop tour - I have an upcoming article in Cabinetmaker Magazine - they also did a video tour of me and my shop - which they posted on their site - you can see it by heading to

www.cabinetmakeronline.com

click on Video on left tool bar
Click on Hometown Woodworking

This was a one take shot and was a lot of fun! You get a good look at the space. Enjoy!!

Thanks again Family Woodworking.

Gail

Nice tour. I love the "do I just keep on talking" comment - makes it more real.

Looks like a very well thought out space, smaller than I would have expected. In particular I was impressed with the "circular" work flow that you mentioned with the sheet goods coming in, finish cut with the festool, pocket hole, and right onto the bench for assembly.

...art

Did enneybody even notice the shop? :thumb:

Shop, what shop? All I saw was a bunch of portable equipment. :D

Gail, first :b-day_cake:, I hope it was a great one! Secondly, thank you! You reminded me of something I already knew, but seem to keep forgetting... the portability issue. While about half of my tools are on rollers, I don't use the concept enough and for small shops like mine (half of a two car garage) it is hugely important.:thumb:

Gail,

I have always admired your work and it was a real treat to get to see the interview and the shop tour. I like the way you keep it simple, yet turn out some of the most fantastic work.

Thanks for sharing it with us here

Great video, Gail. Seeing how you make use of portable tools makes me wish my shop wasn't carpeted. I have nearly everything on mobile bases, but the carpet makes it impractical to move without a lot of work and care. I keep threatening to someday empty the shop and remove all the carpet, but then I think about how much work that would be, and the fact that I do like having the carpet underfoot when I'm working out there. (Cleanup is a pain, though.)

Thanks for dropping by, and thanks for the video. :thumb:

You guys are the best... really! let's see, looks like my TV show is a no go - we are still working on it. But, that is likely outcome. I love my shop - it is awesome and the outside workspace is great too. It is perfect for one person. What to do next? Buy a 10 man shop? Brainstorm other ideas? I am considering a move into the woods... 12 acres... when you get to know me, you realize anything goes...so what's next is anybody's guess.

Thank you for all of the encouragement.

Gail

Hey Gail, first of all, happy birthday.

You should do a podcast if your tv show doesn't go through, I'm a big fan of all the woodworking podcasts out there even though I tend to find them more entertaining than helpful. I'd love to ad one more to my list and I'm sure making money with it wouldn't be a problem for you seeing as you are a lady and all.

Your shop is considerably bigger than mine, but it seems that you work in the same fashion as me as far as planing outside and whatnot. I'm sure you could give me a few pointers on shop efficiency.

By the way, I love your logo, did you design it yourself or did somebody design it for you?

Hey Gail Happy B-Day! Great tour. Sorry to hear the show's not working out. I really enjoy seeing what you do. Be sure to drop by more often!

What to do next? Buy a 10 man shop? Brainstorm other ideas? I am considering a move into the woods... 12 acres... when you get to know me, you realize anything goes...so what's next is anybody's guess.

I dunno about twelve acres, but many times I wish I had 2-5 acres in the woods. Preferably with a stream running through the back.

I think you should go for it, just because I'd like to see another "birth of a shop" thread here... :rolleyes:

Hey Gail, sorry for coming late to this, I sure hope you had the best birthday!

Too bad to hear about your TV show, I sure would have enjoyed watching it.
I agree with Allen, you should do a Pod cast thing, who knows where it will go :thumb:

Love your shop, and your efficient use of space, and on that point, boy do I hear you :D Sure with I had a driveway I could roll some tools out into. :(

The 12 acres thing, I'd be there like white on rice :D

Good luck, keep us posted.

Cheers!

I dunno about twelve acres, but many times I wish I had 2-5 acres in the woods. Preferably with a stream running through the back.

I think you should go for it, just because I'd like to see another "birth of a shop" thread here... :rolleyes:

Sorry, Art, what you describe is about what I have here in the Arkansas Ozarks. Also what Tod has in the same county. You can't have ours. ;) But, there are a lot more settings exactly like that around here. Can't be beat for great living.

I dunno about twelve acres, but many times I wish I had 2-5 acres in the woods. Preferably with a stream running through the back....

Well, maybe only a little over 6 acres works just about right - this is the backyard in the Fall, after a little fog rolled in:

BackyardFall2004.JPG

And just outside the shop, looking toward the house:

View-from_shop_South_toward_house.JPG

GO FOR IT, GAIL!!!

------- Al