Thread: Okay, my turn for a skew question

Okay, my turn for a skew question

What is the difference between the standard Hamlet M2 skews, the Hamlet ASP 2030 skews and the Hamlet ASP 2060 skews? Different metals, powdered, cryo?

Snipped from the Hamlet website:

ASP 2030 & 2060 is a high-alloy high-speed steel that contains cobalt (Co). It is manufactured powder-metallurgically using the ASP (AESA STORA Process) process which makes the tools exceptionally resistant to wear. The steel is atomised, compacted and processed to the dimensions required. The result is an extremely homogeneous steel with a unique combination of properties. ASP 2030/60ís homogeneous structure enhance such properties as dimensional stability and shape stability during heat treatment, as well as improving grindability and toughness. Toughness is good even for large dimensions and ASP2030/60ís method of manufacture and composition mean that it can provide high hot hardness and good wear resistance.

ASP 2030 tools will last approximately 2-3 times longer than ordinary M2 steel and 2060 approximately 3-4 times.

Hamletís exclusive range of ASP 2030 and 2060 turning tools are now recognised and recommended by many of the worlds top professionals as the best there are. With its ability to hold an edge far longer than conventional M2 HSS and far less regrinding time.

They take woodturning into a new era.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

In short, the hardness of the steel.

You can get a sharper edge on HSS and it's easier to sharpen. But the edge will stay sharper longer on the 2030 and the 2060 although it might be a little trickier to get it sharp.

Less sharpening usually equates to more turning time and longer tool life.

That's a sorta restate of my earlier question. I do wonder if the 'in fact' performance matches the advertising copy.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thanks, Vaughn! That's what I needed to know.

Frank (and anyone else interested), Craft Supplies USA has the Hamlet 1" ASP 2030 and the ASP 2060 on clearance for $50.39 and $63.69 respectively. Not on the web site. You have to call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Burt View Post
    Thanks, Vaughn! That's what I needed to know.

Frank (and anyone else interested), Craft Supplies USA has the Hamlet 1" ASP 2030 and the ASP 2060 on clearance for $50.39 and $63.69 respectively. Not on the web site. You have to call them.
    Thanks, Billy, worth looking at. Did you see the current rant on one the penturning sites about CS left hand not communicating with their right hand? That seems to be a consistent problem there.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I saw it, Frank, but I guess I thought he was talking about something else and pais it no mind. I've always had first rate customer service from them, so I have no complaints. They have always gone out of their way to make it right.

Anyway, at these prices, I don't see how I can afford to NOT buy one. Especially if the edge holding thing is true. Know what I mean?