Okay, my turn for a skew question

Snipped from the Hamlet website:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]ASP 2030 & 2060 [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]is a high-alloy high-speed steel that contains cobalt (Co). It is manufactured powder-metallurgically using the ASP (AESA STORA Process) process which makes the tools exceptionally resistant to wear. The steel is atomised, compacted and processed to the dimensions required. The result is an extremely homogeneous steel with a unique combination of properties. ASP 2030/60’s homogeneous structure enhance such properties as dimensional stability and shape stability during heat treatment, as well as improving grindability and toughness. Toughness is good even for large dimensions and ASP2030/60’s method of manufacture and composition mean that it can provide high hot hardness and good wear resistance.

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]ASP 2030 tools will last approximately 2-3 times longer than ordinary M2 steel and 2060 approximately 3-4 times.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Hamlet’s exclusive range of ASP 2030 and 2060 turning tools are now recognised and recommended by many of the worlds top professionals as the best there are. With its ability to hold an edge far longer than conventional M2 HSS and far less regrinding time.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]They take woodturning into a new era.[/FONT]

In short, the hardness of the steel.

You can get a sharper edge on HSS and it's easier to sharpen. But the edge will stay sharper longer on the 2030 and the 2060 although it might be a little trickier to get it sharp.

Less sharpening usually equates to more turning time and longer tool life.

Thanks, Vaughn! That's what I needed to know.

Frank (and anyone else interested), Craft Supplies USA has the Hamlet 1" ASP 2030 and the ASP 2060 on clearance for $50.39 and $63.69 respectively. Not on the web site. You have to call them.

Thanks, Vaughn! That's what I needed to know.

Frank (and anyone else interested), Craft Supplies USA has the Hamlet 1" ASP 2030 and the ASP 2060 on clearance for $50.39 and $63.69 respectively. Not on the web site. You have to call them.

Thanks, Billy, worth looking at. Did you see the current rant on one the penturning sites about CS left hand not communicating with their right hand? That seems to be a consistent problem there.

I saw it, Frank, but I guess I thought he was talking about something else and pais it no mind. I've always had first rate customer service from them, so I have no complaints. They have always gone out of their way to make it right.

Anyway, at these prices, I don't see how I can afford to NOT buy one. Especially if the edge holding thing is true. Know what I mean?;)