you have to love it

My cell phone died a while back, I finally got around to replacing it through the insurance company.

We called it in Wednesday. They told us two to three business days, ok I'm cool with that. They said DHL would email me a shipping notification with a tracking number. Which by the way I just got :D

The phone arrived yesterday :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I think the left hand don't know what the right hand is doing :rofl:

It is just fascinating how almost anything to do with cellular can be so fouled up. Some of the procedures they use and mistakes they make just can't happen by accident. You would really have to try.

Well I just thought it was funny myself, I've arrived at the conclusion if have a cell phone you will have problems sooner or later.

I've just resolved not to let it bug me.

I hate Cell phones (until I need them) Back when I was working SWMBO bought me a Cell saying she wanted to be able to get ahold of me if need be... (I was working a side job chasing down truants and such and was out till late) In the five years she never calle me once... go figure... (I was on a tether)

Several years past sense retirement and tossing the phone in the recycle bin at the drugstore and I never missed the phone. but of late, there has been so much going on and with traveling and elderly parent and keeping track of 3households etc. I have developed a respect for their handiness, About to leave to go out of town and need to be in touch and my cell takes a major "Crap" Two weeks is the expected time of arrival (under warrantee)

So I buy a prepay phone in the AM to tide me through. Technology has a way of grabbing you by the throat...

I have gone 60 years without a cell phone and I wouldn't have one if it were given to me with a free lifetime service. To me they are the rudest devices we have ever come up with. I won't go into the dozens of ways, a person knows when they are being just plain rude.
I will mention however, I tried a new barbershop last week. The woman who cut my hair answered her cell phone and held it between her ear and shoulder during my entire haircut. I almost got up and left. The haircut turned out just fine but I will never go back to that business.

DT

Wow, Don, you seem to just have bad luck with service people. I hope that this and the other incident are isolated.

As for cell phones, I love mine, because nobody ever calls it. Even when I'm out people just call my house, then when they say something about me not being there, I can say "you should have called my cell phone". Still nobody ever does. :rolleyes:

I agree with you Don, But some of us just can't get by without them. If I'm out in the truck. I may leave in the morning with only one or two loads. It's not uncommon to get a call telling me about more. Or a call telling me someone canceled. One earns me money, the other call saves me time.

Same thing goes if I'm out in the woods. if someone calls about getting logs sawn, I have to be able to get the call.
Folks can darned impatient about getting their logs sawn, They never seem to be impatient about paying and picking up their lumber though

IF I'm with a friend and get a business call, sorry the friend is just gonna have to wait a few minutes, while I excuse myself and take care of business.

If I'm with a customer. Depends who it is. If its a friend or family it goes to voice mail. If its another customer I excuse myself long enough to let the person calling that I'm with another customer and I'll call them right back

My whole point was I though it was funny I got the replacement phone and had it activated before DHL ever sent me the shipping notification.

As soon as I read the letters DHL, I knew where the problem resided. I don't like that company, never have and never will, but no sense to get into that here.

As for the cell phone, I am like Allen. No one ever calls me. Instead I use mine to call the Mrs and to order lumber and stuff like that. I remeber one time it was ringing and I told the guy I was talking to "you better answer your phone." He said, "Its yours not mine." I never hear it ring so I did not know what it sounded like.

On the railroad the cell phone kept the system running. All talk over the railroad radio is monitored by FRN's, the FRA and is recorded by the railroad in case of derailments or other safety stuff. When you did something wrong it was not unusual to hear the dispatcher say "Call me on the cell phone."

I got that directive one day back in 2003. We were working the tracks just west of Washington, MO. We had undercut a railroad bridge and there was no way we could get it ballasted, graded and tamped before our time was up. Of course that day was special. John Kerry was running for President and he was making a whistle-stop campaign aboard Amtrak across MO. We were going to delay his train and that was when I got the call!!

Swinging_Out2-214x141.jpg

IF I'm with a friend and get a business call, sorry the friend is just gonna have to wait a few minutes, while I excuse myself and take care of business.

I understand business Robert but I see Mothers and Fathers ignoring their kids, guys and gals ignoring their dates, people holding up the buffet line etc.

I always take my own truck. My friends know if they put me on hold or subject a whole restaurant to their cell phone call I'm going to get up and leave. I have done it before and will do it again. That type of behavior is not acceptable and I won't be associated with it.

IMHO The place for a cell phone when you are with friends and family is in your car. ;)

DT

While I sympathize with Don and agree a lot of folks abuse their phones are rude in public, I wouldn't be without mine. Sometimes I don't make or receive a call for days. But, when used they save a lot of time and driving miles. Their value in emergencies is without parallel. With current plans we can make or receive calls from anywhere in the country, essentially, free. Wonderful for keeping in touch with our kids, even when they are traveling. A marvel of our time. Even when I'm doing the reenactment bit in a remote setting, my cell is in my pack out of sight. It is turned off to avoid ringing and save battery and is in a waterproof container. My reenactment is historically correct. Historically, dying in an agonizing way for lack of medical care is authentic. But, I'm not desiring to be that authentic.