Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doug's shop tour

Doug's shop tour

Well I finally got around to taking some pictures of the shop in a somewhat organized manner. The shop is on the same property as my concrete business. Up until a few months ago it was leased out to another party. Since they moved out I did some major remodeling and added on a little bit. The shop is roughly 23x80. Here's a few exterior shots.Attachment 1138

Attachment 1139

Now onto the equipment. Here's the Ritter line boring machine set up for line boring.Attachment 1140

This pictures shows a rack I'm going to primarily use for sheet good storage. Right now it's still a bit cluttered.Attachment 1141

The next two pictures show the 20" martin jointer, the second shows how long the bed is. It also has a hookup for a power feeder but I doubt I will use it.Attachment 1142Attachment 1143

The next two are of the 24" planer. It's set up next to the jointer in a space saving configuration.Attachment 1144Attachment 1145

The last picture for this post shows the edgebander. It's a Brandt, does up to 3 mm, laminates, all tapes and solid wood up to 3mm if you mill it yourself.Attachment 1146

I'm going to have to make two more posts to get the rest of the pictures in. I'm new to posting pictures and text so I hope it came out all right.

Regards Doug

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    looking good so far doug, keep em comming.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Here's the Martin Slider, it's the T 60 with a 3.3 meter slide and manually adjustable scoring.

Attachment 1147

This is a close uo of the control panel. It shows blade height, angle and distance to rip fence.

Attachment 1148

This shows a panel support bar that fits anywhere along the slider. It can be used by itself to help support large panel and it can also be used with the parallel fence attachment.

Attachment 1149

Here's one moe shot from a different view.

Attachment 1150

These two show the Castle pocket machine and also a refrigerated dryer for the compressed air system. I ran a 1" copper line about 80 feet from my other shop to feed the woodshop.

Attachment 1151

Attachment 1152

This pic shows the DC. It's a dantherm 7.5 hp The ducting starts out at 11" dia. and drops down to 4" at the furthest machine.

Attachment 1153

Attachment 1154

I found this saw on the internet. It was purchased brand new in 2000 by a gentleman that was going to start a furniture business. It never happened and the saw never even had a blade on it and was still on the original shipping pallet when I got it.

It's an 18" Northfield with 7.5 motor. I think it was the only year they used this color, it's kind of a light yellow. The following year they went back to the green. It is a beast and weighs in at a mere 2000 pounds. Just a little less the the slider. I got it primarly for a rip saw for hardwoods and equiped it with a power feed. It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. I negotiated with the guy and I paid for shipping.

Attachment 1155

Attachment 1156

I think one more post will show everything else.

Regards Doug
    Last edited by Doug Sinjem; 11-26-2006 at 12:45 AM.

Ok here's the final set of pics.
    Wall mounted lumber rack, loaded with 4/4 maple

Attachment 1157

This unisaw is going to be used mostly for dado cuts, especially for the grooves in cabinets for the 1/4 backs. I'm going set up a power feed and have a 1/4+ dado blade made up and run the parts backwards (with the feeder of course) Kind of the same principle of a scoring blade. This will extend the life of the blade and keep the malemine from chipping.

Attachment 1158

This shows the chop saw station and general bench for hand tools etc.

Attachment 1159

This is a single head butfering 37" wide belt, it pulls 50 amps! Also I made a storage rack for the belts out of pvc closet rings and 4" abs pipe.

Attachment 1160

These two tools are great to have around-parts cart and panel cart.

Attachment 1161

Attachment 1162

This spot is reserved for the shaper. It's already got the power(disconnect) air supply and two 5" ducts for DC. It should be here by xmas. I'll wait and give more info on it later when I can show pictures of it.

Attachment 1171

The last three are overall shop pics.

Attachment 1163

Attachment 1164

Attachment 1165

Wow Doug,

Once I get over the immense tool-envy, I'll post a few comments and questions. In the mean time, I'll be slobbering on my keyboard looking at the pictures.

Thanks for posting...I think...

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh View Post
    Wow Doug,

Once I get over the immense tool-envy, I'll post a few comments and questions. In the mean time, I'll be slobbering on my keyboard looking at the pictures.

Thanks for posting...I think...

- Marty -
    Thanks for the kind words Marty. I'm sure your going to have some nice equipment in your shop. You have to!! It wouldn't be right after you put all that work into your beautiful shop.

Btw youv'e never really elaborated on what toys are going in there except your new slider. How about a few hints.

Doug

Marty, I now need a new keyboard. Do they make water (slobber) proof models? Wow is right, Doug. Those are some serious machines! Nice setup! And what part of the concrete business are you in? I grew up in a redi-mix concrete business owned by my grandparents. My dad was the plant foreman. Lots of good memories, but it was a tough business.
    (sigh) Now I have to force myself to go out to my shop in the morning and work on my cyclone chip barrel..... Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Marty, I now need a new keyboard. Do they make water (slobber) proof models? Wow is right, Doug. Those are some serious machines! Nice setup! And what part of the concrete business are you in? I grew up in a redi-mix concrete business owned by my grandparents. My dad was the plant foreman. Lots of good memories, but it was a tough business.
    (sigh) Now I have to force myself to go out to my shop in the morning and work on my cyclone chip barrel..... Jim.
    Thanks Jim,

I specialize in place and finish. Mostly industrial floor slabs, tilt-up panels, structual and metal decks. It's all labor and a ton of equipment. We have a about 10 flatbeds, 20 ride on trowels and about 40 walk behaind trowels. Plus a bunch of other misc. equipment and small machine shop and a fulltime mechanic.

Yes it's a very tough and stresfull business. The last floor we completed started at 1 am in the morning and we poured about 55,000 sq ft. a day which is approx. 1,250 yards per day(125 redimix trucks) for 12 days straight.

Out here in So. Cal the big supplier is Robertsons redimix.

Doug

Wow is right!

Doug,

A really impressive collection of tools you have ...

A very well stocked shop for sure!!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Sinjem View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Marty. I'm sure your going to have some nice equipment in your shop. You have to!! It wouldn't be right after you put all that work into your beautiful shop.

Btw youv'e never really elaborated on what toys are going in there except your new slider. How about a few hints.

Doug
    Doug,

Rest assured, I will NOT have the caliber of equipment you've shown us here!! Perhaps if I already had a shop, and didn't have to spend all my time and money building one, I might...just might...have the luxury of such first class gear! No, on second thought, you have more money tied up in equipment than I do in my shop. Never mind...

As for hints as to what's going in my shop....

NOPE!

It'll be clear enough when I get the floor done and start wheeling the stuff in. But as I said, it'll be a kids starter-set of what you have.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I wanted to compliment you on having some sawdust around. Nothing worse than a sparkling clean shop...

Still drooling...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…