Animating Your SketchUp Model

Hey thanks again Dave, I haven't had a chance to put it to work yet, but I will test it out later tonight, when I get back home. I'm sure this will come in handy when showing designs to my clients that come into my office.

Just one question, what is Design. Click. Build? Do you work for FWW online or is that just a personal blog that you have?

By the way, thanks for just being such a helpful guy in general, I see that you do go out of your way to help people out and not a lot of people are like that, so I just wanted to let you know that it is appreciated.

Hi Allen, it was my pleasure. I do hope you find this technique useful.

Consider this as well: Suppose you want to show your client different door styles on a cabinet. Draw each of the door styles in place and put each style on a different layer. Then make a scene showing each of the different doors so by switching scenes you can change the style.

Design. Click. Build. is a Fine Woodworking sponsored blog. I'm one of three contributors writing for it. It's just one of the three outlets I have for SketchUp stuff.

Consider this as well: Suppose you want to show your client different door styles on a cabinet. Draw each of the door styles in place and put each style on a different layer. Then make a scene showing each of the different doors so by switching scenes you can change the style.
Pure genius Dave, I never thought of that before, once again thanks. That will definitely help with the picky clients.

Design. Click. Build. is a Fine Woodworking sponsored blog. I'm one of three contributors writing for it. It's just one of the three outlets I have for SketchUp stuff.
Thats great, I noticed that some people are not real big fans of SketchUp, but I find it to be an invaluable tool, I'm just glad that there is somebody out there to give me tips on how to get the most out of it.

I'll be keeping up on your blog from now on so you better not start slacking off.:p

Hey Dave, sorry for the double post, but I am having a little problem.

When I move the animated piece then make a new scene, the scenes before it change as well, the only thing that I have been able to save was the camera angle. Meaning the camera moves in the animation, but nothing else.

Allen, you need to make copies of the component(s) placed at points along the path of movement.

In the case of the swinging doors I made a total of seven copies spaced evenly through 120° (20° apart). Each instance of the door was moved to its own layer, i.e. the doors in the closed position were moved from Layer 0 to Layer 1. The next door instances (opened to 20°) were moved to Layer 2. The door instances at 40° were moved to Layer 3 and so on.

After the all the door instances were moved to their own layers, I turned on the layers one at a time and made a scene. Layer 0 remained turned on through out because it had the case. for Scene1, I turned on Layer 1 but Layers 2 through 7 were turned off. Scene2 had Layer 2 turned on but Layers 1 and 3-7 turned off; Scene3 had Layer 3 on, 1,2 and 4-7 off and so.

Does that help to clarify things?

I'll send a PM in a moment.

Dave