My first dump....

Jim O'Dell

of the cyclone dust bin.:rofl: I peeked into the barrel through the cyclone and it looked like I was getting close. DSCN1675.jpg I think I caught it just right.:thumb: :D
I've got to figure out a way to hold some plastic bags into the barrel though. I got covered in saw dust digging it out with the dust pan. I'm afreaid that my plastic barrel has just enough change to a smaller diameter at the mouth to make it hard to get a full bag out of it. May eventually have to get a metal one, and the plastic insert that Rubbermade makes as a liner. Guess time will tell. Jim.

Jim,

I am thinking I am going to have the same problem with my Grizz G0441. The collection barrel on it is 28" across. I want to look for some large industrial bag, probably those for 55 gallon drums. That way I can just put the bag around the drum and turn if over. I think Marty had the right idea with his trail and dump mechanism.

Maybe this is a stealth gloat, but maybe not. In any case I am just glad that I don't have to dump my saw dust collector at all. When I was building my shop I built a sump pit underneath my floor. Its small in size maybe two feet wide by 18 inches deep.

Anyway my sawdust gets sucked up by the collector at each machine, goes through the impeller and then into the filter bag. But at the bottom is is cut so that it goes right into my sump area. From there it gets conveyed right into a nearby fire pit.

Of course I live out in the country so neighbors are not a problem, but it really works well because I have clean lungs, a safe shop and yet its all maintenance free. You can see in this picture how my saw dust collector funnels down into the sump area. Its all brick lined so its pretty well sealed up down below. As a side note, the yellow trap door is for my floor sawdust. I don't use a dustpan, I just sweep it right down into my sump area. It works extremely well.

Dust_Collection-453x335.jpg

Last edited:
I empty mine when it is about a third full. This means I empty more often but, the barrel is light enough and empty enough to dump without the mess.

Glenn, that's probably the best thing to do, at least until I can figure out a way to do the bag in the barrel thing. I'm hoping the contractor bags will fit, and are heavy duty enough to not tear pulling it out.
It took two sets of doubled trash bags to empty the barrel. I did put a little left over in my shop waste can. About 2 dust pans full.
Now, Steve...just what are you thinking of??? :dunno: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Jim.

Yes, I've read that trick. But I'm afraid the brick would tear throught the bag. I think they put something in before the brick, like some plywood, or maybe cardboard to distribut the weight of the brick. The other trick I've read is to get the liners the borgs sell this time of year that help hold trash bags open while you fill them with leaves, then pull it out to close up the bag, and go to the next one. That might help with the narrowing opening of the plastic barrel too. I need to start looking for one of those. Basically a plastic sheet that you roll up, slip inside the bag, then let it naturally expand to the bag. We'll see. Thanks! Jim.

I like Travis Johnson's idea.

I wonder if it would work with a PVC pipe hooked to the out side of the impeller & just run outside & into a pile or trailer. I think a 4'x4'x4' dump trailer with an up side down funnel shaped removable top top would be great. The top would cause the rain to run off. About once or twice a year I could haul it off & dump it into a compost pit.

Just a little, Tod. :rolleyes: There is actually quite a bit of OSB in there too. And in the last week, a very little bit of oak and oak veneer ply. If the bag trick doesn't work on this barrel, I may have to build a box like you and Marty, only a lot smaller, that I can at least shovel out rather than have my head down in the barrel scooping out the dust. Jim.

. About once or twice a year I could haul it off & dump it into a compost pit.

holy cow bart.........need some sawdust? i fill my dumpster at least once a week and burn my off-fall.......if i`m runnin` mouldings i have the dumpster tipped daily:eek:.

holy cow bart.........need some sawdust? i fill my dumpster at least once a week and burn my off-fall.......if i`m runnin` mouldings i have the dumpster tipped daily:eek:.

Its only a hobby shop doing apartment repairs on the side Tod. At 13'5"x24'5" with a standard height ceiling of 7'10" & a full complement of tools even you wouldn't be able to do as much as you do where your at. I empty a 30 gallon garbage can between 6 & 10 time a year making personal stuff & repairing cabinet doors for the apartments.

If I were in a bigger shop & had something besides a 2 bedroom apartment where I could make furniture for our house I would be much busier & making more ships & dust.

The way things are I am limited in work space & space where I can put thing made for the home.