Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker PRL installation question

Woodpecker PRL installation question

Anyone here have the PRL of Unilift from Woodpecker? I'm looking to see how wide the lip is in the table top for the plate to sit on. I'm going to make mine 3/4", then cut out for the plate mechanism to fit if need be. But if that is too big, it would be nice to know before I start, then have to modify after the ledge is cut. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I'll check mine in the morning. Off the top of my head I think it's around 5/8".
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

My lip is 1/2". (Actually, my lips are a litle bigger than that but that's a different story. )

Lip on table is 1/2". However the distance for the edge of the PRL plate to the nearest obstruction is 1 1/6".

hth
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Jim,

I purchased the woodpeck template and the router bit they recomend. Perfect fit! I did a terrible job of cutting out the hole below the table however. Here is the album with some pictures in it.

Wassa PRL?
    Wassa Unilift?
    Wassa Woodpecker?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Wassa PRL? Router lift.
    Wassa Unilift? Router lift.
    Wassa Woodpecker? Router lift manufacturer
    Here's a picture of the PRL:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRL.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	12425 This unit comes made for the Porter Cable 7518 motor. Adaptors will allow certain other brands to work. Unilift seems to be made to work with plunge routers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I'll check mine in the morning. Off the top of my head I think it's around 5/8".
    So you left the lip the width of the router bit then, right? If so, my 3/4" should be fine.

Mark, I didn't want to comment about your lips. But from your avitar, I'd agree, 1/2" isn't close! Thanks for the information!!

Bartee, I have the template also, and believe me, it will be a well spent 10.00! I was wanting to see how much support I could leave without interference. Looks like I could have allowed for some more, but the 3/4" should be adequate. I'm using 2 layers of 3/4" MDF for the table, and could ad a third smaller piece directly under the router area.
    Thanks everyone! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Jim, mine is also 2 layers of 3/4 mdf. VERY solid.

I really like my router table. It has proven to be more useful that I ever thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Wassa PRL?
    Wassa Unilift?
    Wassa Woodpecker?

www.woodpeck.com GREAT Stuff. These guys are really thinking and creating some great products.

One of my favorite tools is their square. Check it out HERE

Here are all their router lifts

Slightly related; My 5625 has been hanging from a 1/2" lip for a couple of years. No problems and I have it and other routers in and out frequently. I would think with the PRL lift (same one I'm eyeing, or maybe the QL) there would be no problem with your 3/4" as far as support goes.

The problem I did have was sag over the span of the top. My table top is now "over" supported. Some support ribs built into my new cabinet design solved that. The dotted lines are doubled-up 3/4" BB ply on edge. Slam-bang drawing, not very accurate but, you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jIM-TOP.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    So you left the lip the width of the router bit then, right? If so, my 3/4" should be fine.
    The Woodhaven Angle-Ease fits the PRL hole exactly. If I recall it was the AE that made me end up going with 5/8" and not the PRL. As long as it doesn't interfere with anything mounted underneath you could go as big as you want. After routing out the rabbet depth I think I just drilled a large hole in each corner (set in the distance of the ledge I wanted to leave) for blade entry then set the jigsaw on a piece of ply straddling the opening and cut to lines I had marked.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/