Thread: Shop Made Turning Tools

Shop Made Turning Tools

Well, I guess that I admit that I am a tool junkie. No budget and no money so I have made some tools. My inspiration has been Darrell Feltmate, Alan Lancer, and many other web sites and this group. So here are some pics of the tools.
    First pic: From left: Scraper made from a ripping chisel - handle is poplar, next 2 are 45 deg. shear scrapers - Robert Sorby - shafts are 3/8" key stock - purchased the scraper inserts - handles are unknown wood, next is a hook tool made from 1/4" oil hardened drill rod - handles are oak, next is a bowl gouge made from 1/2" oil hardened drill rod - handle is oak, next is my Oland tool - handle is tube steel with rubber rope for a grip, next at top is the gate for the hook tool - 1/2" pipe with a 3/4" bolt (this threads into the tee and 2 set screws hold it from turning, and bottom is a block that I made to sharpen the hook tool - lays flat on my grinding jig. Believe it or not, they all seem to work pretty well. I also have made a bowl gouge for my son, Jeff, that is not in the pic. That bowl gouge was made from grade 8 bolt. Has anyone tried using high strength bolts? I found that they work pretty well.
    Second pic: from left, Sorby 45 deg scraper, Oland tool, Hook tool, bowl gouge.

Comments welcome

wayne, years back when i was a kid and first started spinnin` stuff i made my own tools from old leaf springs, cut with an ox-act. torch, ground to shape then reheated and quenched in old motor oil.....they didn`t look anywhere near as fine as yours but they cut...those tools are long gone but thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Wayne looks like some good looking tools and should do the job for ya. I made a couple of tools but right now time is precious to me so maybe in a year or two when I retire I want to make some.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dad those look great! I can't wait to try them out when I come home in a few weeks!

They look great Wayne, I make my own as well!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

the bowl gouge

Here is a pic of the bowl gouge my dad made for me. Thanks again Dad!!

Cool stuff, Wayne. Those look nicer than a lot of the shop-made tools I've seen before. I wish I had the tools and the know-how to make a few tools. I'm sure someday it'll happen...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Great job Wayne

DT

Guys, thanks for the complements. I am working on a few other tools and will post them when I get them done and working. I do like the challange of trying to make tools and jigs.