Shop Made Turning Tools

Wayne Bower

Well, I guess that I admit that I am a tool junkie. No budget and no money so I have made some tools. My inspiration has been Darrell Feltmate, Alan Lancer, and many other web sites and this group. So here are some pics of the tools.
First pic: From left: Scraper made from a ripping chisel - handle is poplar, next 2 are 45 deg. shear scrapers - Robert Sorby - shafts are 3/8" key stock - purchased the scraper inserts - handles are unknown wood, next is a hook tool made from 1/4" oil hardened drill rod - handles are oak, next is a bowl gouge made from 1/2" oil hardened drill rod - handle is oak, next is my Oland tool - handle is tube steel with rubber rope for a grip, next at top is the gate for the hook tool - 1/2" pipe with a 3/4" bolt (this threads into the tee and 2 set screws hold it from turning, and bottom is a block that I made to sharpen the hook tool - lays flat on my grinding jig. Believe it or not, they all seem to work pretty well. I also have made a bowl gouge for my son, Jeff, that is not in the pic. That bowl gouge was made from grade 8 bolt. Has anyone tried using high strength bolts? :wave: I found that they work pretty well.
Second pic: from left, Sorby 45 deg scraper, Oland tool, Hook tool, bowl gouge.

Comments welcome:wave:

Attachments

• My Tools.jpg
    My Tools.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Detail My Tools.jpg
    Detail My Tools.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 70
wayne, years back when i was a kid and first started spinnin` stuff i made my own tools from old leaf springs, cut with an ox-act. torch, ground to shape then reheated and quenched in old motor oil.....they didn`t look anywhere near as fine as yours but they cut...those tools are long gone but thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Wayne looks like some good looking tools and should do the job for ya. I made a couple of tools but right now time is precious to me so maybe in a year or two when I retire I want to make some.

the bowl gouge

Here is a pic of the bowl gouge my dad made for me. Thanks again Dad!!

Attachments

• bowl gouge.jpg
    bowl gouge.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 44
Cool stuff, Wayne. Those look nicer than a lot of the shop-made tools I've seen before. I wish I had the tools and the know-how to make a few tools. I'm sure someday it'll happen...

Guys, thanks for the complements. I am working on a few other tools and will post them when I get them done and working. I do like the challange of trying to make tools and jigs.