Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: an old flat story of things gone wrong

an old flat story of things gone wrong

There will be no photos, as the events of this story happened long before the camera was invented.
    Back in the early 80's, my time was spent trimming out houses and building cabinets on site for remodels, along with the other chores that a woodworker would be expected to do, hanging doors, wainscote and block paneling etc. Framing, roofing and fence building all had had their place.I had also done some serious decks and patio shades so up until that time my experiences were quite varied.
    I had a box van they called it, in which I carried my tools. I could stand up inside it which was very nice. I carried a 10" rockwell contractor saw on a stand, 3/4" oilless ITT portable compressor, guns, 9" rockwell mitre box, saw horses, short ladder, circular saws, drills etc, just about every thing I needed to do whatever I needed to do.
    Well anyhow in trying to make the story short, i can't because it stretches out a bit..
    I was called to a house for a remodel. The contractor was a friend who was real good at figuring the way to make the old fit in with the new additions so that the new looked just as old or the old looked just as new. That is VERY important! More later.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

shaz the tease at it again......waiting patiently

Back in those days every day it was roll out the cords, pull out and set up the table saw, mitre box and stand, compressor, the saw horses etc. Well, the setting here at this place seemed okay at first. It was a two car garage with the overhead door facing the street and just enough room for me to back my truck up so folks could walk around the front of the truck and still stay on the side walk, yet without me taking a chunk out of the overhanging eaves/ facia/ soffet. There was a freezer on the wall near the side entry door through the garage to the house. That opened into the utility room then through a door into the kitchen.
    .I had to remove the plug for the freezer to plug in the tablesaw/ mitre box and compressor and the other hand tools to be used out in the garage. We kept flipping breakers on that all the way through the job yet for some reason we never could change outlets. Then, there was the two door entry for everything, the garage door, the utility room door then around the corner into the den. Each door had to be shut because for some reason they had two little white dogs that could not be put up elsewhere.. The plot thickens especially when that breaker flips while using the table saw Every trip in and back meant dealing with 4 doors and two dogs that might surprise you behind the door and the tripping of the breaker during cuts when you should be at peace in the garage.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

i can see this will be a classic shaz story, very intriguing and very entertaining. please sir...do continue!!

waiting on the edge of his seat
    chris

Okay Shaz, you've set the hook. Reel us in.

So far this sounds like something I'd read on the last page of Fine Homebuilding magazines - the funny stories of house building.

My dad was a finishing carpenter, but by the early 80's he was only about 5 years from retirement. He never did make the switch to air tools. I'm still amazed at how he managed to flip up his old 9" beaver table saw and carry it into the house. Yes, I said carry it: take off the motor and hoist it up. (just the top section - still, with all that cast iron!)

Couldn't you run an extension cord through a basement window to another circuit?

Keep it coming...
    ...art

The weather was quite pleasant as that time of year, it was just starting to get hot, several weeks before memorial day. We didn't work the weekends as the owners always went out of town, which was great just being away from the dogs and the doors. Atthat time I had about 6 years experience but had not realized that the farther you have to walk from the saw the more boards you get measured before you head to the saw.
    I was still doing the cut and fit except it was cut, door door fit,door door cut door door fit door dog door cut! Yeah I was younger then, had more energy but a lot less sense.
    Well, somewhere in the midst of cut door door fit dog door door cut door door, dog poulation was reduced by 50%. I don't know how, there was an electrician and a tile guy there too with a helper, but somehow dog number one vanished. We shut down and went looking for "Rover?" We scoured the neighborhood but never found the little guy to my knowledge. It is tramatic to have that happen on your watch, sadly we did all we could but gave up the hunt. It was solemn working there the next few days even though the owners seemed okay with it all. That puzzled me but it made it a bit easier on the workers. I learned something that day,,,,,,,,,Ms. You need do something with that animal!

Fortunately the long memorial day weekend had arrived and we needed the time to reflect and Party. We rolled up all our tools as usual a bit earlier that Friday, about noon as I recall as the homeowners were headed out of town for an extended weekend away, they would be back Tuesday, we could start work Wednesday ""Tick tock start the clock "" Friday noon til wednesday at 8:00 AM....
    Shaz
    Here is how

dog in the gang-box......or in this case your box truck?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    dog in the gang-box......or in this case your box truck?
    ( Oh Tod, you are a creative genius, but no, no gang box coffin, no dog in box van. Just Doggone??????!!!!!)....S

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Somebody forgot to plug the freezer back in

Oh oh. Dog was found in.........I'll wait on Shaz

Steve nailed it!!!!!!!!! How did you know???????????
    Shaz
    Here is how

Geez, did you put poor rover on ice?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Oops. Hope I didn't ruin your story Shaz.
    I thought I stopped before...............( Oh Steve, don't worry you didn't ruin the story, it is fun to join in as you have!!!!..S )

Which was it? Forgot to plug in the freezer, or?
    (maybe both?......)
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how