an old flat story of things gone wrong

During those days it was common for the contractor to be the direct link to the client and I had little or nothing to do with them. That was the case here also. I don't remember ever meeting them, just met the dogs and the housekeepers.
We were really close to finishing up when I started to work that day. About 11:00 the contractor came in to look things over. He was usually well composed and this day was no different. He didn't mention the smell, he just came in and considered what had to be done to finish the job.
Well that wasn't good enough for me. I figured I had something to do with the odor that permeated the garage and by golly I wanted credit:eek::doh: for it.:( First I needed to find out what it was.
I asked him about the smell. He said the freezer plug had been out the whole time they were away, and the meat they had in it defrosted and got ruined.:doh:... We were friends, and had a working bond that would stand by oneanother even in the deep waters, if something needed done. I needed more information. I asked how much meat was there. He said " Most of a whole steer". :doh:Oh Man!!!!!:doh:! I told him It was my fault and that I would some how make it right.
Remember my aside to the Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo. Sadly enough there was a reason I mentioned it in this thread. Yep:doh::doh::doh::doh:
You probably guessed already:doh:

Holy Toledo you bought the $100,000 cow?:eek::eek:
Well let me say this "I heard it was not the GRAND CHAMPION STEER!!":eek:. I never did find out how much they paid for that Steer. My friend said it was bought at that same Auction. :( It was much higher on the food chain than I felt at that time, even though it was rotten, stinky, and somewhere drawing flies. :(:(
. The contractor accepted responsibility for the loss and negotiated a deal to build an arbor/ patio shade/ gazebo covering about 4-500 sq feet with the owners buying the materials. My friend helped me and we knocked it out after a while on our off time and weekends, which had all been okayed by the homeowners. They were actually quite nice from all I heard.
.We hand nailed alot of the patio woodwork as my 3/4HP oilless ITT portable compressor($480.00) at that time was stolen from behind my truck, it was between the truck and the house just as I was unloading my tools to go start on the work in the back of the house, "The Steer's Gazebo". I was gone about 10 minutes, and when I came back the compressor was gone.! I never knew what happened. That would have been the last straw if I wasn't obliged to build the "Gazebo" for that steer!:doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:I can laugh about it now with fire in my eyes!:rofl::rofl:
It was a hard job but all in all, if we don't consider the lost dog, the ruined steer and the stolen compressor, I think the job turned out rather well.:(:eek::rolleyes::D:rofl: So help me.:thumb:
Shaz
Thanks for following, the above story did happen to me and is as best I recall the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me...

Last edited:
But what happened to the dog? Inquiring minds want to know. Did it ever reappear, or was it never seen again? Maybe the same person who stole your compressor stole the dog!

Nancy (96 days)

I know what happened to the dog, after he got fed up with eating kibbles and bits while his owners were happily munchin' away on prized beef. He decided that it was time to run away.

Not knowing where he'd go or what he'd do he turned to a life of crime and stole Shaz's compressor to sell on the black market. With the money he earned from that stolen compressor he decided to buy a bunch of lottery tickets, and ended up winning about 10 million after taxes.

Last I heard he was living somewhere in the Bahamas, where he just lounges around on the beach all day eating fillet minions.

Great story Shaz, but you DID leave that part out. :rolleyes:

But what happened to the dog? Inquiring minds want to know. Did it ever reappear, or was it never seen again? Maybe the same person who stole your compressor stole the dog! ( Hi Nancy, :wave:
To my knowledge the dog never did resurface. You have put out something I had not considered. Once gone, :dunno: Sad...yes../Painful...yes.../Still gone...!:dunno:...S)

Nancy (96 days)

I know what happened to the dog, after he got fed up with eating kibbles and bits while his owners were happily munchin' away on prized beef. He decided that it was time to run away. ( Allen...that is a thought:D But why on my watch???:doh:...S)

Not knowing where he'd go or what he'd do he turned to a life of crime and stole Shaz's compressor to sell on the black market. With the money he earned from that stolen compressor he decided to buy a bunch of lottery tickets, and ended up winning about 10 million after taxes. ( This is the story I want to hear more of...:thumb: S)

Last I heard he was living somewhere in the Bahamas, where he just lounges around on the beach all day eating fillet minions.

Great story Shaz, but you DID leave that part out.( Hi Allen, :wave:
You know I think I did!:rofl::rofl: ...S) :rolleyes:
Kind of you all. :wave:Work safely,
Shaz