Crib build

Doug Sinjem

Started this about a week ago and finally was able to get some pics of the progress.

Project is made of Walnut I laminated the legs made an mdf template and ran them on my router table(on steriods:D)

crib build 001.jpg

crib build 002.jpg

I used the dowelmax to dowel all the spindles to the rails for the sides

crib build 003.jpg

Doing some shaping, scapping and sanding on the curved legs

crib build 004.jpg

These two pics will connect to the side rails to form the top. The plans called for laminating 3 pieces together, taking the edges off at a 45 with the table saw and then roulding by hand. I used a hand plane and rasp with sanding to get the circular shape.

crib build 005.jpg

crib build 006.jpg

The last 4 photos show how I joined the two pieces together using biscuits. The plan called for pocket screws and glue. I didn't like that so it got glue and 5 biscuits.

crib build 007.jpg

crib build 008.jpg

crib build 009.jpg

crib build 010.jpg

continued

Doug

looking great doug, something tells me i am gonna wish i had made my sons crib out of walnut. i was thinking of that just this morning. weird....please try to show finished pics when your done and have time.

was that the biggest router table you could find? better not use big bits in there it might bog down that motor....:D

chris

crib-schrib.............who`s havin` a baby? a stelth gloat?

looks good so far! isn`t much more enjoyable shaping stuff with hand tools than shoving `em into a machine?

crib-schrib.............who`s havin` a baby? a stelth gloat?

looks good so far! isn`t much more enjoyable shaping stuff with hand tools than shoving `em into a machine?

That would be me! Just found out yesterday....boy #4:D I have until Feb. 10th to get er dun

Yes it is quite enjoyable shaping, figuring, fixing, fussing etc

Doug

That would be me! Just found out yesterday....boy #4:D I have until Feb. 10th to get er dun

Yes it is quite enjoyable shaping, figuring, fixing, fussing etc

Doug
Congrats, I have another baby coming around the same time, but I'm not sure if its a boy or girl yet. Hoping for a boy, but I should be finding out in about 2 weeks.

I already have the crib though, so as much as I'll enjoy reading this thread, I won't be following your lead. Unless something unfortunate should happen to said crib and I have to build a replacement. :eek:

Walnut is one of my favorites by the way.

Congrats. Let the spoiling begin.:D A changing table and dresser is next. This is great. Plenty of projects and all the insiration a guy could want.

Congrats. Let the spoiling begin.:D A changing table and dresser is next. This is great. Plenty of projects and all the insiration a guy could want.

Glenn I'm going to build a dresser with a removable changing table on top. This will be a challenge for my veneering skills since I'm new to veneering.

I'll be looking for plenty of advice and help on the veneering. I know of one person that posted on this thread that after looking at his website looks like the expert on veneering. T;)d

Doug

doug, yeah i'd say that tod has done a few veneer jobs in his day...:thumb:
Yeah, but can he cut a straight line? Seems like everything he builds has curves in it. I think he'd covering up his inability to build square things. :rofl:

Congrats on the new addition Doug. I'm liking what I've seen so far of the crib. :thumb:

Yeah, but can he cut a straight line? Seems like everything he builds has curves in it. I think he'd covering up his inability to build square things. :rofl:

Congrats on the new addition Doug. I'm liking what I've seen so far of the crib. :thumb:

i wasn`t a square then and i ain`t now:rolleyes:

[edit] unless you count bein` a blockhead?

Last edited: