Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford or chevy or dodge

Ford or chevy or dodge

Some of you might know that my main business is concrete finishing on industrial and commercial projects. Therefore I have many trucks to tote all the equipment around. Currently I have 5-F350 cab and chassis(these carry all the small equipment and walk behind trowels) F550 with a crane for the riding trowels, a Chevy Kodiac 5500 with a crane for the riding trowels, and F450 dumptruck, 1-F350 4 door and 1-F350 4 door for pulling trailers with cranes attached also for carrying riding trowels. All these trucks are diesel plus I have 1 F250 gas truck.

All the 7.3 liter diesels have been good except for the trans which have all had to be replaced. the f 350 4 door is a 6.0 diesel and has had a lot of problems and the newest F350 has the new 6.4 tt diesel has been in the shop for a front engine gasket that has been on national backorder.

I have had a few chevys in the past that didnt seem to cut it with the brakes etc they were the old 454 low an power and hard on gas and ran hot. I did have a 94 dodge that was pretty good but was loud and got sold because of age.

My F350 cab and chassis are getting old with almost 200,000k miles and looking to replace a couple of them. Our truck need to be dependable and it's critical they make it to the jobs. Also are jobs are getting further and further away.

I like the new F350 trucks but the new 6.6 liter diesel looks like its taking off where the 6.0 left off. Oil leaks, high and low idle(to burn off the contaminents) and poor fuel milage. They truck is rated at 13,000 GVW which is great for all the weight we carry. Truck still has 5 speed auto tranny.

I've heard good things about the new Duramax and allison tranny but their cab and chassis is only rated at 11,400 GVW

The dodge has the tried and true inline cummins and I think its called aisen tranny which I know nothing about. Their truck is rated at 12,500

I'm looking for input good or bad on all trucks. Anything helpful to make a good decision for my next buy. These are for my business and need to be dependable.

Doug

One of the larger Toyota Tundra's made right here in Indiana or over in Texas.

Doug,
    I can only give you anecdotal information - so take it with a grain of salt. My Uncle is a structural steel sub in the Chicago area. All his trucks have been Ford mainly due to the front end design. They routinely get loaded to capacity and with the bad roads and rough job sites, he was spending a lot of down time for front end and suspension rebuilds on other makes. Can't tell you much else, but suspension durability - or lack there of, was always what he complained about.

FWIW,
    Wes

Yeah, Ford messed up by going away from the 7.3. The new 6.4 shows some promise in the emissions area, but I'm guessing it will take 2 years to get it right. If GM would only go to a fully boxed frame like Ford and Dodge, I bet their GVWs would go up. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 09-10-2007 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Doug, I don't have personal experience with any of the three Brands that are newer than 2005, so my info may or may not be helpful. I do know that "IF" you can keep the Duromax out of the shop and running, it gets fair fuel consumption, and the Allison tranny seemed to work Very well, but with that said, I have personally seen MANY of the Chevys with that combo traded in for Dodges and Fords because they just couldn't keep them out of the shop.

I love the way the Fords are built, (I have put a LOT of miles on Ford and Dodge Duelly Diesels, pulling a 3 car trailer, hauling trucks for Dealers). We always used manual trannys for towing, and I preferred the Ford at that time with the 7.3 to the Dodge and it's Cummins, but the Cummins got better fuel mileage,and the later Dodge/Cummins combo I liked very well. Of the current models, the cummins will probably out perform the Ford Diesel in power, fuel consumption and reliability.

Here in West Tx, (Heavy Oil Patch use, and some Ranching, Chevy sells a VERY SMALL percentage of Diesel Trucks, compared to Ford and Dodge, (where Ford still is slightly ahead of Dodge, but not by much). The thing that has held Dodge back somewhat is that with the manual trannys, if the person doesn't drive them like a big truck, ie; let the clutch out smoothly and get the vehicle rolling, BEFORE pressing the accelerator, they tend to develop clutch and rear end problems. Ford had some problems for a while with the clutch "Servo", but that may not be a problem anymore.

Sorry I can't be of more help on the current models. For the larger trucks you use, have you maybe considered one of the small Freightliner Delivery type trucks with a small Detroit Diesel?

doug,
    my advice is offered only based on observation, i drive pre 1960 vehicles......in this area 90-95% of the folks hauling a load, farmers, job trucks and rv pullers are running dodge for their 1 ton rigs..most opt for a standard tranny outfitted with a ceramic clutch...it`s not uncommon to see trucks pulling fully loaded stock trailers up these ozark hills doing well over the speed limit and not dropping a gear..
    dodge is still using the ol` 14 bolt corprate rearend with an 11-1/2" ring gear, 3" brakes and floating axles....a tried-n-true design.

for your larger trucks i have a friend who owns a fairly large lumber yard with several locations and they have gone to international for their fleet (over 20 trucks)
    i also understand that for the larger trucks volvo is a major player in the value-vs-dependability market...
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I don't have any personal experience, but i know what will fly around here. And I can hit both sides of the fence

My sister bought a 07 3500 Dodge in December. It has the smaller 06 engine, for 07 Dodge went to I do believe 6.2 or 6.5 liter engines. She is pulling a 14,000 pound 32 foot fifth wheel.
    Va beach to to Erie pa last spring they averaged 12.2
    Erie to my house last week they averaged 13.9
    They only have around 7000 miles on it. I drove it while she was here and it is quiet. It's nothing like the older ones.

Wifes one cousin runs a fence company, He runs all Chevy.
    They routinely load the goose neck with a 4WD John Deere tractor, a large JD skid steer and all the fence supplies. All 4 of his employees are die hard ford fans, all 4 of them have the same opinion. The Chevy will leave the power strokes behind, but the Ford is more comfortable and has better visibility. They also don't like the steering the Chevy. GM steering tends to take a light touch you get a bit less feedback from it.

IT comes down to this
    You want the best transmission and the most power you go Chevrolet. The Allison transmission has been around for 85 years building trannys for everything from semis to heavy construction equipment. Chevrolet's current downfall right now is they are still experiencing some injector issues. If the 3500 won't carry enough weigh buy a 4500 or 5500.

You want the most weight capacity in a one ton, well its going to be Ford then.

You want the best mileage along with best ride in my opinion your buying Dodge

Now the smart choice, International 4100 series. you can spec it up 19,500 GVW. Hydraulic brakes and you DO NOT need a cdl to drive it. You now have a truck that was designed from the ground up to work. Sorry but todays pickups are not in my opinion. Your have a truck that has 200,000 on it and your replacing it. A 4100 is just really getting broke in good at 200,000
    In fact with proper care it should go 500,000 before it needs any work to amount to anything. I can show you tons of those around with 600,000+ miles and still working every day. you need a work truck not a pickup truck

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley View Post
    I don't have any personal experience, but i know what will fly around here. And I can hit both sides of the fence

My sister bought a 07 3500 Dodge in December. It has the smaller 06 engine, for 07 Dodge went to I do believe 6.2 or 6.5 liter engines. She is pulling a 14,000 pound 32 foot fifth wheel.
    Va beach to to Erie pa last spring they averaged 12.2
    Erie to my house last week they averaged 13.9
    They only have around 7000 miles on it. I drove it while she was here and it is quiet. It's nothing like the older ones.

Wifes one cousin runs a fence company, He runs all Chevy.
    They routinely load the goose neck with a 4WD John Deere tractor, a large JD skid steer and all the fence supplies. All 4 of his employees are die hard ford fans, all 4 of them have the same opinion. The Chevy will leave the power strokes behind, but the Ford is more comfortable and has better visibility. They also don't like the steering the Chevy. GM steering tends to take a light touch you get a bit less feedback from it.

IT comes down to this
    You want the best transmission and the most power you go Chevrolet. The Allison transmission has been around for 85 years building trannys for everything from semis to heavy construction equipment. Chevrolet's current downfall right now is they are still experiencing some injector issues. If the 3500 won't carry enough weigh buy a 4500 or 5500.

You want the most weight capacity in a one ton, well its going to be Ford then.

You want the best mileage along with best ride in my opinion your buying Dodge

Now the smart choice, International 4100 series. you can spec it up 19,500 GVW. Hydraulic brakes and you DO NOT need a cdl to drive it. You now have a truck that was designed from the ground up to work. Sorry but todays pickups are not in my opinion. Your have a truck that has 200,000 on it and your replacing it. A 4100 is just really getting broke in good at 200,000
    In fact with proper care it should go 500,000 before it needs any work to amount to anything. I can show you tons of those around with 600,000+ miles and still working every day. you need a work truck not a pickup truck
    hanks for all the info Robert. One of my competitors actually has an international for hauling around his riding trowles. I took a quik peek at the 4100 series and it looks like the motor is only 230 hp. Not sure if this is enough but will talk to an international dealer.

Doug

Doug, not much to add here, as my info on US trucks is 20 years old, but horse power is not what matter much for hauling stuff, foot pounds of torque is what counts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Sinjem View Post
    I took a quik peek at the 4100 series and it looks like the motor is only 230 hp. Not sure if this is enough but will talk to an international dealer.
    I don't know as much about this as Robert or some others, but I do have a 15,000# GVW with a 318 gas motor in it. Not sure what the horsepower is, either spec or acutal (needs a valve job so it's kinda lower hp than it should be). However, with 6.2 axle gears, it'll haul a full load up just about any hill - at 25 mph

Anyway, a 230 hp diesel sounds like a luxury to me, but I've got a kinda skewed perspective.

Sounds to me like you should get away from heavy pickups. I've got one friend involve with a landscape business - 500,000 miles out of their Nissans, and another who just retired from driving long haul. He'd been driving and maintaining the same Peterbilt since the 70's or 80's (round headlights) - I'll have to ask him how many miles he got out of it. But 200,000 miles should be just getting to the sweet spot.