Had a Family Woodworker Visit....

Stuart Ablett

I had a great day today,:) Gari Biasillo came to visit the Dungeon.

Gari lives in Vancouver Canada.....eh.... :D

Gari and family are on vacation, they were here in Japan visiting his wife' family, and Gari was nice enough to make the time to stop by and visit. :thumb:

I gave him the nickel tour of the Dungeon, and then Gari pulled out a nice piece of what we think is Ebony Macassar, and proceeded to show me how to turn boxes :thumb:

gari1.jpg gari2.jpg

It was very interesting to say the least, learned a lot and now I'll have to make some new tool rests and tools to add this to my turning fun! :D

Hats off to Gari, he was working with an unfamiliar lathe, tools that that were not quite for the job on hand, and my lathe was rather too high up for him, but he made a nice little box, which he gave to me, and I gave to my lovely wife, and she likes it very much!

gari_stu.jpg
Gari, myself and the small box he turned.

So, if any of you are ever in Tokyo, drop on by and take the nickel tour of the Dungeon! :wave:

Cheers!

visits in japan:eek:.......you`re lucky stu, i hardly ever leave this corner of the county. looks like ya`ll had a good time.

Way to go guys! I think Gari now has the record for the longest trip to visit a fellow FWW member! Nice to get a lesson out of the visit!

Jay

Way to go guys! I think Gari now has the record for the longest trip to visit a fellow FWW member! Nice to get a lesson out of the visit!

Jay
Dunno about that Jay, Matt came from Ontario..... :D

Yes Tod, I'm lucky, and I know it, and I do my best to treat my guests a well as I can. :thumb:

Cheers!

It's nice you guys got to get together. You can bet your bottom dollar Stu, if I ever get close to you I'll be stopping in.:thumb:

Wow thats awesome.

Tokyo, Japan has always been my number 1 place that I want to visit, so if/when that day ever comes I'll be sure to stop in as well.

Maybe by then you can show me how to turn boxes. Er, umm... jars.:p

In Japan? Steaks? I didn't know you were rich. :D

I felt lucky to afford the noodle shops in the train station.

Charlie, I live on the economy, I'm not an "Expat" so I know where to shop to get nice THICK steaks for reasonable prices, places like COSTCO :D

We don't eat steak all the time, but if I have the time and you are here for a visit, it certainly would be occasion enough to spark up the BBQ and get some good thick steaks! :D :wave:

Allen, if you do come to Tokyo, I'd take it as a personal insult if you DID NOT stop by! ;) :D :thumb:

Well you are a pretty big guy and if I remember correctly you are a Martial Artist, (Aikido I think) so I wouldn't want to insult you. :p

I'll make sure to give you a call first so you can have the beers ready, I'll leave the flavor up to the professional.

Hi Guys,

I`m finally (temporarily) back in the land of the internet in Obama (West Japan) after my trip to Tokyo :type:.

I had a great time there and the visit to The Dungeon added to the enjoyment. Thanks again, Stu, it was fun!

The train ride from Soga to Shinjuku was pretty straight forward but I then got lost trying to find Stu`s place :dunno:. After a few phone calls, Stu was able to locate me and pick me up in his van :thumb:.

As Stu stated, it was tricky trying to turn the box. It usually takes me 45-60 minutes to turn one but I think it took 2 hours with intermitted stops for wagging the chin. Turning a 1 1/2 inch box with a tool set for turning bowls was tricky to say the least! I knew that it would be tricky so I turned a simple box to demonstrate the principles.

At the end of the visit, I was giftedr with some nice pen blanks and enough Sakura to turn six boxes :thumb:.

Stu - Thanks again for being my host. Be sure to visit my shop when you next visit Vancouver!

Hi Stu.

A trip to Japan and a visit to your dungeon are already in my "to do " list of things. Why not a trip to Spain to a small town by the sea to visit another woodworker friend?:)

Hi Stu.

A trip to Japan and a visit to your dungeon are already in my "to do " list of things. Why not a trip to Spain to a small town by the sea to visit another woodworker friend?:)

Tony, I'd love to visit Spain, as well as some other European countries. I've only been to Austria, and I liked it very much, but honestly, getting time off is hard, and when I do get some time off, my priority would be visiting my family in Canada, but I'll not say "never".

Cheers!