Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Type of Wood?

Favorite Type of Wood?

I was just curious what your favorite type of wood is? It does not matter if it is domestic or imported, wild grained or tame. The only thing is, you have to say why you like it.

For instance is it because its easy to machine? Or because its readily available at lumber yards? Or is it just the color of the wood?

I guess I will start...

My favorite wood has to be Ash. I like the look, the grain and with plenty of big Ash trees on our property, I can get some clear, wide boards with little effort. Its kind of a pain to finish, and the smell is pretty bad when you are sawing it up, but I still think this wood is my favorite.

Now its your turn, what's your favorite wood?

My favorite is usually the latest "new" wood I'm working with....guess I'm easily pleased. I love the grain in red elm, but it's sure not the easiest stuff to work with. Other favorites are curly maple, QSWO, ash, and mahogany.
    Got Wood?

Western Red Cedar

My favourite is cedar. And my favourite cedar is Western Red Cedar from British Columbia.

• The main reason for my choice would is the smell because that instantly takes me back to the experience of opening the door of the main cabin at Pellow’s Camp in the spring.

Also:

• The natural colour of cedar looks really good in furniture, decks, etc. and the range of shades within the overall colour makes for interesting patterns.

• Cedar is really easy to work with.

• Cedar is very durable and lasts a long time outdoors.
    Cheers, Frank

I'd have to say that my favorite is Koa. The rich dark color and vanilla highlights, combined with a cool grain. Not much ingrain, but just enough to give it character. Sands great.

Cherry. Works pretty nicely though it can have some finishing issues. I like the color once it ages a bit. Not too dark & not too light - just right.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

I brought this up on a penturning forum. The responses were all over the board. As for me, I don't think I have a favorite, I just like wood and believe it to be one of God's great gifts. However, depending on use I do tend to lean different ways. For pens most nice burls are great. For larger items walnut is, to me, the King of woods and maple the Queen. But oddly, I will often pick up some osage orange for medium size tasks. Sumptin' special about that thar bo'dark.

I am a big fan of Hackberry, just love the looks of the deepened grain after a stain goes on.

My favorite is FREE wood. As long as it is not pine.

Bet ya'll think my favorite is Ash huh....

After building my son's kitchen and all his trim out of Ash....I've had enough of it.......for a while

I like Cherry for the smell and color and workability.

Working on B/E maple right now and although it is beautiful wood I am nervous about machining it, I'll take it slow and take my time,... sounds like I'm talking about the fairer sex in that description.

I've found for turning pens I like the dark exotics.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post

Working on B/E maple right now and although it is beautiful wood I am nervous about machining it, I'll take it slow and take my time,... sounds like I'm talking about the fairer sex in that description.
    I went out to the shop after typing this and got to thinking I didn't want this to sound derogatory to women what I meant by this was that as a woman is beautiful we should take our time and take it slow....not that they are slow or anything... after being married for 27+ years I wanted to make sure what I said wasn't interpreted the wrong way.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "