Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebirth of a lathe, needs a name?

Rebirth of a lathe, needs a name?

I told you all some time ago that I would be redoing my lathe. Well most is done. New Base and new paint. All that is left to be done is replacement of the bearings (next weekend) and adding a ballast box for sand to make it more stable. I will add pics below, but here is how it looked when I started.

new base

Sorry folks, can't get image attachment windo to open. Will try again later.
    Jeff

Here are some pics of the new base made from pressure treated 4X4 and 2X4 I had laying around. Added a shelf to make it stronger that will be bottom of the box to add sand to make it more stable.

Sanded and ground down and ready for primer....and then primed. Looking much better already. Last pic is the tool rests, banjo, tailstock and the 1X8 tpi bolt that goes through the tailstock that is bored for 1/2 bolts. Has a "nonlive" center and a jacubs chuch that can go in it.

The finished paint job. I haven't painted the pillow blocks that hold the bearings. I want to wait until I have the old bearing out to get a better finish. I will post more detailed pics I have when I have more time. thanks for looking.

Forgot to mention I went with Massey Furgeson gray for the paint. Jeff Horton reccomended the paint and if you ask me it looks like it will be hard as nails. thanks for the tip Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Bower; 09-10-2007 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added paint info

lathe`s lookin` good jeff!
    no suggestion for a name..
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Looks great, Jeff!
    If I had done as much work on that as you obviously have I'd probably stencil TGIF across the front: for Thank God It's Finished.

I forgot to mention my idea for a name. The original base that was white in color is from a Maytag Model B-10 clothing press/iron...and the motor and speed control are from a clothes washing machine, but don't know what brand. I thought of just calling it the B-10 or The Maytag, but thought maybe someone might come up with something else

Looking good, but why is the tail stock end hanging way off in space like that?

I DO name some of my machines, ones that have my sweat and blood in them, not the store bought ones, usually.

I'd just wait, no hurry to name it, if it is going to be named, a name will come, you never know from where.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, the tailstock end has looked like that since it was made. The longest thing I've ever turned was a bb bat for my BIL...and the tailstock didn't get out to far past the end of the stand. I need to take some measurements to see what the total length of the bed is between spindles??

I think you're right about the name....it will come to me with time.