I think I like Boxes..........

Stuart Ablett

Gari showed me the mechanics of turning a box today, so I tried one tonight.....

boxes1.JPG boxes2.JPG

Gari's box is the dark one on the left, mine is made from Sakura on the right. I did not finish mine, as I honestly doubted it would survive the whole ride, but it did! :D

These are neat!

Cheers!

Learning somehting new can be a time consuming "problem". :p Looks like you had a great teacher, because your's looks great. Well done:thumb:

Nice first box Stu!

I enjoy making boxes and it's a good lesson in precision turning to get the "pop" fit and thus the capability of finishing it!

Neat!

(But I do find it weird that these non-square things get called boxes. They need a better name.)

I agree ... but i think we've got an uphill battle on this one ... Turners are stubborn!! :peek: :poke: :laugh2:
They are very nice, but like Art, I too have a problem with boxes, and although Tod is right with "Jars" I don't think they will like it. Jason... You have a point, it is an up hill battle!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Real nice Stu.

That's a good one for a first. Big Mike Stafford got me into turning boxes and they can be a lot of fun.

Neat!

(But I do find it weird that these non-square things get called boxes. They need a better name.)

I found this on dictionary.com. "Usually" being the key word.

Box
–noun 1. a container, case, or receptacle, usually rectangular, of wood, metal, cardboard, etc., and often with a lid or removable cover.

But I happen to have one of Mike's in my collection that is both round and square.